Before I bought a longboard, I know I asked myself one big question: How much does a longboard cost? I am sure you are asking this, too.
Best-selling longboards on Amazon
- TRUCKS: Highly responsive 7-inch aluminum alloy trucks and ultra high elastic PU support pad,providing control and stability.
- DECK: 41 IN long x 9.5 IN wide deck made of cold press 8-ply natural maple with max load weight 330Ibs; brushed black surface for antislip. No assembly required.
- WHEELS:Durable 70mm X 51mm 80A PU wheels with rock finish, ABEC-11 high speed bearings.
- MANEUVERABILITY: Built for downhill, speed and freestyle riding, wide turning radius,suitable for all age sports enthusiast groups.Developing your strength,balance and reaction while enjoying fun.
- PERFECT GIFT: Lightweight with shock absorb ring guarantee the smooth cruising.Each skateboard is equipped with an all-in-one t-tool to facilitate your disassembly.If there are any quality issues, we will refund the full amount for 30 days.
- 【Durable & Stable】High density 7 layer maple wood skateboard with emery non-slip surface provides a stable and more powerful grip during skating; Max supporting weight 220 lbs(100KG)
- 【STRENGTH】Our Skate Board made of High Quality Thick Aluminium Trucks and steel axle, which supports higher weight and faster speed for more safe ride.
- 【SMOOTH】Super smooth 60mm anti-shock PU wheels with ABEC-7 precision bearings and PU bushings deliver a very smooth ride, this Longboard is suitable for all smooth surfaces or even rough ground.
- 【Suitable for All Level Skaters】 31 x 8 inch full size double kick concave design with vintage pattern provides better control and easy to brake; this Skateboard is ideal for Beginner and Pro doing some basic stunts and other tricks.
- 【COMPLETE】No assembly required, this Cruiser Skateboard is a ideal gift for boys and girls. If you have any questions about skateboard, please feel free to contact us. to prove the importance we set on quality. You can purchase with confidence.
- ESSENTIAL INFORMATION：41 x 9.5 inch 8 floors of natural maple longboard skateboards, ABEC-11 high speed chrome steel bearing, 8 inch aluminum truck.
- HIGH QUALITY WHEEL：70x51mm high elastic PU wheels with 80a hardness.
- GOOD SHOCK ABSORPTION SYSTEM：PU shock absorb ring Providing effective cushioning, adds more comfort to your skateboarding experience.
- ENJOY：This Longboard features low to ground is easy to learn for beginners, perfect for commuting, long distance riding, downhill, cruising, carving, freeride slide, freestyle and dancing.
- PERFECT GIFT：This long board is a perfect gift for your friends and family who are interested in sports.If the T tool is missing, contact customer service to get it.
- The 40inch drop through cruiser was designed to meet basic needs for longboard beginners, or transport needs for on campus.
- 8-ply natural hardrock maple and epoxy glue make the board strong enough to handle most riders.
- Genuine alluminium 7-Inch reverse kingpin trucks are adjustable as 50 or 45 degree, and take to you great maneuverability.
- Durable 70mm 80A PU wheels work with ABEC-7 presion bearings, letting you enjoy an unsurpassed smooth ride.
- Geometric graphic makes you board stands out from crowds.
- RIFT DROP THROUGH LONGBOARD: Classic retro-surf-style longboard for commuting, cruising, carving, and downhill riding. Rift provides the agility and control needed to bomb hills and pivot quickly and responsively.
- GET A GRIP: Stay grounded with an extra grippy 80AB fully covered deck and durable 70x51mm 78 PU wheels. Dimensions: 41" x 9.5" featuring drop-through trucks.
- SMOOTH SAILING: Take control of your ride with reactive and smooth gliding slant reverse 180mm kingping trucks with precision ABEC-7 stainless steel bearings.
- HIGH-SPEED & ACCURATE: Precision ball bearings in the ABEC-7 tolerance grade is ideal for high speed and extreme running accuracy, capable of handling all of your adventures.
- DURABLE & STABLE: Constructed from durable Canadian Maple and ready to roll. You can ride with confidence knowing your board can handle anything almost anything you throw at it.
Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The cost of a longboard ranges from $50 to a couple hundred dollars. The price ranges because it depends on whether you buy a complete setup or build it piece by piece. It also depends on the quality of equipment you buy.
Here’s an example. I spent less than $80 on a Quest board from Amazon. I use it for just rolling on the bike path and having fun.
I am a total newbie — never having rode a skateboard or longboard before. My intent was not to go crazy fast, carve the streets, or use the board at its limit. Intent is important — as is your skill level.
The harder you want to push the board and its parts the more money you will spend to get higher quality components. You may also be building it piece by piece rather than purchasing an already-built unit.
Need help picking a longboard?
When picking a longboard, you may want to consider the following factors:
- Styles of riding
- Level of ability
- Board shapes
- Deck styles
- Length and wheelbase
Styles of riding
Every longboarders has their own style. Some want a good all around longboard for college, some like to cruise, and others want to hit the steepest inclines. Boards are engineered for different situations, as well as surrounding terrain. Consider where you ride and how when choosing a board.
Level of ability
There are levels of skill which can be hindered or enhanced by choice of board. A board’s shape, mounting type, setups, flex and style can make or break your experiences.
As bearings control the function of the board’s wheels, you want to ensure bearings provide the optimum durability and performance. The higher the ABEC rating, the faster wheels spin. For general purposes:
- Cruising – 3 rating
- Freeriding – 5 rating
- Downhill and racing – over 5
Basic board shapes are directional and twin/symmetrical. Directionals are designed for going forward. The most common is the Pin Tail, but there are some cruisers, downhill and freestyle boards that are directional. Twin boards allow greater movement, such as 180 degree slides.
Deck styles are important to stability. Notice the height of boards as you shop. The higher the board, the higher your center of gravity will be. Deck styles include top mount, drop through, drop deck and double drop.
Common boards use various veneers of wood (maple, Baltic birch, bamboo) pressed into shapes. Construction can also be engineered from materials like carbon fiber. Use your budget and riding intent to decide which construction is best for you.
Longboards have shape characteristics that distinguish their use.
Kick tail: Good for trick riding like hopping curbs and sharp turns. Kick tails can be on one or both ends of a board.
Concave: These boards will have varying levels of concave along the rails or edges to manage foot grip on the board. Downhill and free ride boards will have deeper concaves.
W-Concave: A more intense foot grip found mostly on expensive boards.
Wheel wells and cut-outs: These features minimize getting thrown from the board after cornering too hard.
Board flex is critical to a board’s performance. Flex levels are soft, medium and stiff. Each has characteristics like specific shock absorption or speed control that manages everything from mellow cruising to bombing hills.
Boardlength and wheelbase
Longer boards and longer wheelbases allow greater speeds. Shorter boards and wheelbases allow faster and tighter turning.
Trucks provide turning and pivoting on the axle. Longboards have kingpins that are reversed or inverted, ensuring side-to-side movement, better control and stability. Carefully adjusted, better control turns. Tight trucks heighten high speed stability. Loose trucks make for better turns.
Wheels are probably the most important component in a board’s performance. Their road grip manages the entire riding experience.
Shape: The lips of the wheels come in two shapes, square and round.
A rounded wheel promises less traction in turns. Freeenders and freestylers prefer them as it gives them more power.
Square lipped wheels are not completely rounded, but squared at a 90 degree angle. There’s greater traction and sliding resistance. Power movers like to break them in for downhill and carving rides.
Other important components in the wheel construction are the durometer, core, width and height.
I hope this helped for buying a longboard and answered that question about how much does a longboard cost.