Before I bought a longboard, I know I asked myself one big question: How much does a longboard cost? I am sure you are asking this, too.
Best-selling longboards on Amazon
- ZED LONGBOARD: Our freshest longboard nods to the 1950’s makeshift backyard longboards with its classic surfboard shape and feel. ZED not only carries us here and there, but transports us back to a time of sun, surf, salty air, breezy days, dewy nights, and reverb-doused hits of yesteryear.
- ANTI-BITE TECHNOLOGY: Avoid wheel bite at all costs. In fact, put it in the back of your mind. We put ease-of-ride #1 by including wheel wells to eliminate grab. Durable 70x51mm 85A PU wheels with rock finish.
- HIGH-SPEED & ACCURATE: Precision ball bearings in the ABEC-7 tolerance grade is ideal for high speed and extreme running accuracy, capable of handling all of your adventures.
- SLICK & GRIP: Enhance your ride with smooth and shock absorbent 70 mm Polyurethane wheels, plus a rock finish for superior grip.
- STABLE BUILD: 44-Inch artisan longboard made from 8-ply Canadian maple and sustainably sourced bamboo forms an infallible hybrid of strength and pliability in ZED's deck construction. It comes fully assembled and ready to ride, all you have to do is get going.
- MADE BY SKATERS All of our boards are designed by skaters and inspired by our location in Southern California, the birthplace of longboarding. Many of our design cues come from the local surf culture and natural materials, we let the simple aesthetics shine on their own. We also prioritize our customer service and want you to be completely stoked with your new board. All messages are replied to within 24 hours and we’ll do our very best to ensure satisfaction and maximum cruising on our boards.
- VERSATILE BOARD 44-inch Longboard Skateboard designed for cruising and skating around town. Kicktails make this board super functional for all sorts of riding styles.
- WHEELS FOR CRUISING A 78A soft high quality urethane is used for the 70mm wheels. The wheels are nice and soft for extra grip while turning and a super smooth ride over rougher roads. With a cool translucent look, the wheels are sized perfectly for the cruising this board excels at.
- QUALITY MATERIALS The deck is made with bamboo veneer on top and bottom with a maple core to add strength and stiffness. This makes the deck super durable and beautiful. The sand grit finish provides grip without the hassle of replacing grip tape and shows off the beautiful bamboo design. The trucks are made from gravity cast aluminum which makes them strong and durable. The bushings are SHR (medium stiffness) which adds to the cruising experience.
- ENDLESS SKATING OPTIONS This board is the perfect accessory or alternative for many outdoor activities or methods of transportation. Take it to the park, the beach, traveling, camping, the bike path, pump track, you name it. Or maybe you’re tired of your bicycle or roller skates. It’s also great for land SUP paddling or paddleboarding. Be creative, happy skating!
- 44-Inch artisan bamboo longboard
- Multi-ply Hardwood Maple and beautiful artisan bamboo deck
- Rugged 7-inch aluminum trucks
- Durable 70mm PU wheels
- SIZE MATTERS our 44" Longboard is the perfect size constructed in a Multi-ply Hardwood Maple and beautiful artisan bamboo deck shaped to perform and the extra detail rarely found at this price.
- As an artisan work from our engineering team, the 42inch drop through camber deck offers super flex and shock absorber.
- 8-ply natural hardrock maple and epoxy glue, healthy materials bring more fun, and is better for environment.
- Genuine alluminium 7-Inch reverse kingpin trucks are adjustable as 50 or 45 degree, and take to you great maneuverability.
- Durable 70x51mm 78A PU wheels work with ABEC-9 presion bearings, letting you enjoy an unsurpassed smooth ride.
- Designed by talents across the Atlantic. Graphics range from strikingly vintage to avant-garde looks.
- POWERFUL - UL 2272 certified 36v 7500mAh and 270Wh Lithium-Ion battery allows our electric skateboard running at a max speed of 24mph. JKing electric longboard has a range of 16.5－18.3 miles once it is fully charged in 4h. Perfect for skaters aged 16+
- INTELLIGENT E-SKATEBOARD - Two seven color running LED safety light bars are installed on Jking electric skateboard, which will change the direction and speed of color lights with the running of skateboard ,The board will automatically turn on as you start to ride it. Turns off automatically if it's not in use for 5 min. Stylish but safer even when you ride in the dark after work/school.
- STURDY COMFORTABLE SECURE - The two layers of bamboo and six layers of maple deck has superior strength in comparison with other boards,JKing Electric Skateboard the max supported weight is 330lbs,Using 6-inch non-inflatable off-road silicone wheels, the tires will not be punctured, Comfortable riding. deck (41*12*5.5 in)The board sinking,Lower the center of gravity more stable.High-density Emery Non-slip and Waterproof Surface Makes you safer while riding on the skateboard.
- MULTIFUNCTIONAL LCD REMOTE CONTROL - Portable electric skateboard with remote, can help you master it naturally and ecurely,take you to enjoy the scenery anytime, anywhere. check battery capacity,Switch freely, accelerate, brake, forward and backward, 4 speed modes ，designing for happy time and cool cruising.
- 900W DUAL BRUSHLESS OUTER ROTOR MOTOR - 1:5 reduction ratio, more strong powerful than hub motor.JKing Wireless Remote E-Skateboard This motor supports max 22°climbing angle.
Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The cost of a longboard ranges from $50 to a couple hundred dollars. The price ranges because it depends on whether you buy a complete setup or build it piece by piece. It also depends on the quality of equipment you buy.
Here’s an example. I spent less than $80 on a Quest board from Amazon. I use it for just rolling on the bike path and having fun.
I am a total newbie — never having rode a skateboard or longboard before. My intent was not to go crazy fast, carve the streets, or use the board at its limit. Intent is important — as is your skill level.
The harder you want to push the board and its parts the more money you will spend to get higher quality components. You may also be building it piece by piece rather than purchasing an already-built unit.
Need help picking a longboard?
When picking a longboard, you may want to consider the following factors:
- Styles of riding
- Level of ability
- Board shapes
- Deck styles
- Length and wheelbase
Styles of riding
Every longboarders has their own style. Some want a good all around longboard for college, some like to cruise, and others want to hit the steepest inclines. Boards are engineered for different situations, as well as surrounding terrain. Consider where you ride and how when choosing a board.
Level of ability
There are levels of skill which can be hindered or enhanced by choice of board. A board’s shape, mounting type, setups, flex and style can make or break your experiences.
As bearings control the function of the board’s wheels, you want to ensure bearings provide the optimum durability and performance. The higher the ABEC rating, the faster wheels spin. For general purposes:
- Cruising – 3 rating
- Freeriding – 5 rating
- Downhill and racing – over 5
Basic board shapes are directional and twin/symmetrical. Directionals are designed for going forward. The most common is the Pin Tail, but there are some cruisers, downhill and freestyle boards that are directional. Twin boards allow greater movement, such as 180 degree slides.
Deck styles are important to stability. Notice the height of boards as you shop. The higher the board, the higher your center of gravity will be. Deck styles include top mount, drop through, drop deck and double drop.
Common boards use various veneers of wood (maple, Baltic birch, bamboo) pressed into shapes. Construction can also be engineered from materials like carbon fiber. Use your budget and riding intent to decide which construction is best for you.
Longboards have shape characteristics that distinguish their use.
Kick tail: Good for trick riding like hopping curbs and sharp turns. Kick tails can be on one or both ends of a board.
Concave: These boards will have varying levels of concave along the rails or edges to manage foot grip on the board. Downhill and free ride boards will have deeper concaves.
W-Concave: A more intense foot grip found mostly on expensive boards.
Wheel wells and cut-outs: These features minimize getting thrown from the board after cornering too hard.
Board flex is critical to a board’s performance. Flex levels are soft, medium and stiff. Each has characteristics like specific shock absorption or speed control that manages everything from mellow cruising to bombing hills.
Boardlength and wheelbase
Longer boards and longer wheelbases allow greater speeds. Shorter boards and wheelbases allow faster and tighter turning.
Trucks provide turning and pivoting on the axle. Longboards have kingpins that are reversed or inverted, ensuring side-to-side movement, better control and stability. Carefully adjusted, better control turns. Tight trucks heighten high speed stability. Loose trucks make for better turns.
Wheels are probably the most important component in a board’s performance. Their road grip manages the entire riding experience.
Shape: The lips of the wheels come in two shapes, square and round.
A rounded wheel promises less traction in turns. Freeenders and freestylers prefer them as it gives them more power.
Square lipped wheels are not completely rounded, but squared at a 90 degree angle. There’s greater traction and sliding resistance. Power movers like to break them in for downhill and carving rides.
Other important components in the wheel construction are the durometer, core, width and height.
I hope this helped for buying a longboard and answered that question about how much does a longboard cost.