Originally posted on March 20, 2019 @ 7:07 pm
Before I bought a longboard, I know I asked myself one big question: How much does a longboard cost? I am sure you are asking this, too.
Best-selling longboards on Amazon
- 39" x 9.1“ drop through longboard for beginner
- Strong but Flexible Eight Ply Maple Deck make longboard can Hold Up to 250 LBS weight
- Big Soft 70x51mm PU Wheels combined with ABEC-9 Bearings for Smooth Ride
- Solid 7 Inch Aluminum Trucks equipped with soft bushings for Comfortable Longboarding
- Easy to Learn for Kids and Adults beginner due to low to ground feature come from Dropthroguht mounting technology
- 【Pre-assembled】Slip out of the box, and comes with a multi-tool so you can adjust your longboard to your liking.
- 【Durable】8 ply maple wood, with full strength and enough flexibility for 220lbs skaters to dance on the longboard, can easily bend and move while you ride without breaking and delaminating.
- 【Smooth ride】70*51 MM PU soft wheels, can absorb most of the bumps. On any terrain wheels doing great job, limiting vibration and stabilise uneven terrain. An excellent commuter tool, or for just cruising.
- 【Faster & stability Rides】Drop though design make deck is closer to the ground, Only a small push is needed to start the ride, the bearings (ABEC9) quickly generate the speed to be able to descend the chute smoothly with the support of a low centre of gravity stance. Low platform offers maximum stability.
- 【Easy carving】Efficient for faster turns since longboard come with very flexible on 7-inch trucks with high rebound PU bushings. Achieve silky smooth carving, and help new skaters to correct the skating direction in time.
- ZED LONGBOARD: Our freshest longboard nods to the 1950’s makeshift backyard longboards with its classic surfboard shape and feel. ZED not only carries us here and there, but transports us back to a time of sun, surf, salty air, breezy days, dewy nights, and reverb-doused hits of yesteryear.
- ANTI-BITE TECHNOLOGY: Avoid wheel bite at all costs. In fact, put it in the back of your mind. We put ease-of-ride #1 by including wheel wells to eliminate grab. Durable 70x51mm 85A PU wheels with rock finish.
- HIGH-SPEED & ACCURATE: Precision ball bearings in the ABEC-7 tolerance grade is ideal for high speed and extreme running accuracy, capable of handling all of your adventures.
- SLICK & GRIP: Enhance your ride with smooth and shock absorbent 70 mm Polyurethane wheels, plus a rock finish for superior grip.
- STABLE BUILD: 44-Inch artisan longboard made from 8-ply Canadian maple and sustainably sourced bamboo forms an infallible hybrid of strength and pliability in ZED's deck construction. It comes fully assembled and ready to ride, all you have to do is get going.
- TRUCKS: Highly responsive 7-inch aluminum alloy trucks and ultra high elastic PU support pad,providing control and stability.
- DECK: 41 IN long x 9.5 IN wide deck made of cold press 8-ply natural maple with max load weight 330Ibs; brushed black surface for antislip. No assembly required.
- WHEELS:Durable 70mm X 51mm 80A PU wheels with rock finish, ABEC-11 high speed bearings.
- MANEUVERABILITY: Built for downhill, speed and freestyle riding, wide turning radius,suitable for all age sports enthusiast groups.Developing your strength,balance and reaction while enjoying fun.
- PERFECT GIFT: Lightweight with shock absorb ring guarantee the smooth cruising.Each skateboard is equipped with an all-in-one t-tool to facilitate your disassembly.If there are any quality issues, we will refund the full amount for 30 days.
- LONGBOARD ENGINEERING - VOLADOR gives engineering specifically any extra attention. Drop-through mounting translates into greater stability and improved push efficiency. Aluminum 7” reverse kingpin trucks are adjustable to either 50°for carving/freeriding or 45° for cruising/commuting. Softer 70x51mm 78A PU wheels fitted with ABEC-9 precision bearings bring shock-absorption, kick efficiency, and maximum traction, making this board ideal for commuting situations.
- MATERIALS & MANUFACTURING - 8-Ply hardrock maple deck is durable and offers a generous platform at 42” x 9”. The A356 aluminum alloy used in trucks deserves more credit, which is a high-grade alloy used in the aerospace industry for high-strength applications like rocket engines and missiles.
- ARTWORKS - VOLADOR always commission custom art from Europe, Russia, and Asia to provide an eclectic blend of beautiful styles to choose from.
- BEGINNERS’ GOOD BUY - VOLADOR is a good option for beginners uncertain about their commitment to longboarding. While affordable, the overall quality, comfort, and durability meet the standards of more experienced longboarders.
- CUSTOMER SERVICE - VOLADOR has been consistently ranked in the Top 5 longboard, and no simple feat against top-shelf brands with a presence in the marketplace. We are committed to provide the best customer service and will take care of any quality issue.
Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The cost of a longboard ranges from $50 to a couple hundred dollars. The price ranges because it depends on whether you buy a complete setup or build it piece by piece. It also depends on the quality of equipment you buy.
Here’s an example. I spent less than $80 on a Quest board from Amazon. I use it for just rolling on the bike path and having fun.
I am a total newbie — never having rode a skateboard or longboard before. My intent was not to go crazy fast, carve the streets, or use the board at its limit. Intent is important — as is your skill level.
The harder you want to push the board and its parts the more money you will spend to get higher quality components. You may also be building it piece by piece rather than purchasing an already-built unit.
Read customer reviews of longboards in 2023 on Amazon.
Need help picking a longboard?
When picking a longboard, you may want to consider the following factors:
- Styles of riding
- Level of ability
- Board shapes
- Deck styles
- Length and wheelbase
Styles of riding
Every longboarders has their own style. Some want a good all around longboard for college, some like to cruise, and others want to hit the steepest inclines. Boards are engineered for different situations, as well as surrounding terrain. Consider where you ride and how when choosing a board.
Level of ability
There are levels of skill which can be hindered or enhanced by choice of board. A board’s shape, mounting type, setups, flex and style can make or break your experiences.
As bearings control the function of the board’s wheels, you want to ensure bearings provide the optimum durability and performance. The higher the ABEC rating, the faster wheels spin. For general purposes:
- Cruising – 3 rating
- Freeriding – 5 rating
- Downhill and racing – over 5
Basic board shapes are directional and twin/symmetrical. Directionals are designed for going forward. The most common is the Pin Tail, but there are some cruisers, downhill and freestyle boards that are directional. Twin boards allow greater movement, such as 180 degree slides.
Deck styles are important to stability. Notice the height of boards as you shop. The higher the board, the higher your center of gravity will be. Deck styles include top mount, drop through, drop deck and double drop.
Common boards use various veneers of wood (maple, Baltic birch, bamboo) pressed into shapes. Construction can also be engineered from materials like carbon fiber. Use your budget and riding intent to decide which construction is best for you.
Longboards have shape characteristics that distinguish their use.
Kick tail: Good for trick riding like hopping curbs and sharp turns. Kick tails can be on one or both ends of a board.
Concave: These boards will have varying levels of concave along the rails or edges to manage foot grip on the board. Downhill and free ride boards will have deeper concaves.
W-Concave: A more intense foot grip found mostly on expensive boards.
Wheel wells and cut-outs: These features minimize getting thrown from the board after cornering too hard.
Board flex is critical to a board’s performance. Flex levels are soft, medium and stiff. Each has characteristics like specific shock absorption or speed control that manages everything from mellow cruising to bombing hills.
Boardlength and wheelbase
Longer boards and longer wheelbases allow greater speeds. Shorter boards and wheelbases allow faster and tighter turning.
Trucks provide turning and pivoting on the axle. Longboards have kingpins that are reversed or inverted, ensuring side-to-side movement, better control and stability. Carefully adjusted, better control turns. Tight trucks heighten high speed stability. Loose trucks make for better turns.
Wheels are probably the most important component in a board’s performance. Their road grip manages the entire riding experience.
Shape: The lips of the wheels come in two shapes, square and round.
A rounded wheel promises less traction in turns. Freeenders and freestylers prefer them as it gives them more power.
Square lipped wheels are not completely rounded, but squared at a 90 degree angle. There’s greater traction and sliding resistance. Power movers like to break them in for downhill and carving rides.
Other important components in the wheel construction are the durometer, core, width and height.
I hope this helped for buying a longboard and answered that question about how much does a longboard cost.