Before I bought a longboard, I know I asked myself one big question: How much does a longboard cost? I am sure you are asking this, too.
Best-selling longboards on Amazon
- TRUCKS: Highly responsive 7-inch aluminum alloy trucks and ultra high elastic PU support pad,providing control and stability.
- DECK: 41 IN long x 9.5 IN wide deck made of cold press 8-ply natural maple with max load weight 330Ibs; brushed black surface for antislip. No assembly required.
- WHEELS:Durable 70mm X 51mm 80A PU wheels with rock finish, ABEC-11 high speed bearings.
- MANEUVERABILITY: Built for downhill, speed and freestyle riding, wide turning radius,suitable for all age sports enthusiast groups.Developing your strength,balance and reaction while enjoying fun.
- PERFECT GIFT: Lightweight with shock absorb ring guarantee the smooth cruising.Each skateboard is equipped with an all-in-one t-tool to facilitate your disassembly.If there are any quality issues, we will refund the full amount for 30 days.
- SUITABLE FOR ALL LEVEL SKATERS: 41 x 9 inch full size design, this Skateboard is ideal for Beginner and Pro doing some basic stunts and other tricks.
- DURABLE & STABLE: High density 8 layer grade A canadian maple wood skateboard with emery non-slip surface provides a stable and more powerful grip during skating; Max supporting weight 330 lbs, suitable for adults and kids.
- SMOOTH & SPEEDY RIDE: Super smooth 70x51mm HR82A anti-shock PU wheels with super smooth degree Abec-9 Chrome steel and SHR95A supper soft bushings deliver a very smooth ride. Comes with All-in-One Skate T-Tool, has everything you need to tighten up or repair your skateboard.
- STURDY & STRONG: Our skateboard made of High Quality Thick Aluminium Trucks 7" Heavy-Duty Aluminum Alloy Trucks and steel axle, making them reliable and sturdy, safe for beginners and professional.
- COMPLETE: No assembly required, this skateboard is a ideal gift for boys and girls.
- GREAT FOR BEGINNERS The Kicktail Cruiser is a great option for beginners and pros alike! The deck is nice and stable without much flexibility making it easy and safe to ride. The wheels are nice and soft for extra grip while turning and a super smooth ride over rougher roads.
- VERSATILE BOARD 44-inch Longboard Skateboard designed for cruising and skating around town. Kicktails make this board super functional for all sorts of riding styles. It’s a great starter board for someone looking to get into longboarding!
- QUALITY DECK The deck is made with bamboo veneer on top and bottom with a maple core to add strength and stiffness. This makes the deck super durable and beautiful. Our logo is laser etched directly into the bamboo. The sand grit finish provides grip for your feet and shows off the beautiful bamboo design
- SMOOTH TRUCKS This board features Paris Style trucks with a 7 inch hanger and kingpin angle of 50 degrees.The trucks are made from gravity cast aluminum which makes them strong and durable. They have a tumbled finish and are great for smooth cruises. The bushings are SHR (medium stiffness) which adds to the cruising experience.
- WHEELS FOR CRUISING A 78A soft high quality urethane is used for the 70mm wheels. With a cool translucent look, the wheels are sized perfectly for the cruising this board excels at.
- 【SUITABLE FOR ALL LEVEL SKATERS】 41 x 9 inch full size design, this Skateboard is ideal for Beginner and Pro doing some basic stunts and other tricks.
- 【DURABLE & STABLE】 High density 8 layer grade natural maple wood skateboard with emery non-slip surface provides a stable and more powerful grip during skating; Max supporting weight 330lbs, suitable for adults and kids.
- 【SMOOTH & SPEEDY RIDE】 Super smooth 70x52mm HR82A anti-shock PU wheels with super smooth degree ABEC-7 Chrome steel and SHR95A supper soft bushings deliver a very smooth ride. Comes with All-in-One Skate T-Tool, has everything you need to tighten up or repair your skateboard. If you do not receive the tool, please contact me and I will send you a new one.
- 【STURDY & STRONG】 Our skateboard made of High Quality Thick Aluminium Trucks 7" Heavy-Duty Aluminum Alloy Trucks and steel axle, making them reliable and sturdy, safe for beginners and professional.
- 【COMPLETE】 No assembly required, this skateboard is a ideal gift for boys and girls. If you encounter any quality problem, please contact me in time, and I will make a full refund for you.
- Size: 38 inches x 9.75 inches
- Multiple layers of Bamboo and Canadian Maple with durable heat transferred graphics and clear grip tape.
- 180 mm (7 inch) aluminum trucks with polished finish and ultra high rebound bushings
- 70 mm x 50 mm high rebound urethane wheels. Fast and durable Abec 9 Hellion 2 bearings with built in spacers.
- Search: "White Wave Longboards" to see all our products
Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The cost of a longboard ranges from $50 to a couple hundred dollars. The price ranges because it depends on whether you buy a complete setup or build it piece by piece. It also depends on the quality of equipment you buy.
Here’s an example. I spent less than $80 on a Quest board from Amazon. I use it for just rolling on the bike path and having fun.
I am a total newbie — never having rode a skateboard or longboard before. My intent was not to go crazy fast, carve the streets, or use the board at its limit. Intent is important — as is your skill level.
The harder you want to push the board and its parts the more money you will spend to get higher quality components. You may also be building it piece by piece rather than purchasing an already-built unit.
Need help picking a longboard?
When picking a longboard, you may want to consider the following factors:
- Styles of riding
- Level of ability
- Board shapes
- Deck styles
- Length and wheelbase
Styles of riding
Every longboarders has their own style. Some want a good all around longboard for college, some like to cruise, and others want to hit the steepest inclines. Boards are engineered for different situations, as well as surrounding terrain. Consider where you ride and how when choosing a board.
Level of ability
There are levels of skill which can be hindered or enhanced by choice of board. A board’s shape, mounting type, setups, flex and style can make or break your experiences.
As bearings control the function of the board’s wheels, you want to ensure bearings provide the optimum durability and performance. The higher the ABEC rating, the faster wheels spin. For general purposes:
- Cruising – 3 rating
- Freeriding – 5 rating
- Downhill and racing – over 5
Basic board shapes are directional and twin/symmetrical. Directionals are designed for going forward. The most common is the Pin Tail, but there are some cruisers, downhill and freestyle boards that are directional. Twin boards allow greater movement, such as 180 degree slides.
Deck styles are important to stability. Notice the height of boards as you shop. The higher the board, the higher your center of gravity will be. Deck styles include top mount, drop through, drop deck and double drop.
Common boards use various veneers of wood (maple, Baltic birch, bamboo) pressed into shapes. Construction can also be engineered from materials like carbon fiber. Use your budget and riding intent to decide which construction is best for you.
Longboards have shape characteristics that distinguish their use.
Kick tail: Good for trick riding like hopping curbs and sharp turns. Kick tails can be on one or both ends of a board.
Concave: These boards will have varying levels of concave along the rails or edges to manage foot grip on the board. Downhill and free ride boards will have deeper concaves.
W-Concave: A more intense foot grip found mostly on expensive boards.
Wheel wells and cut-outs: These features minimize getting thrown from the board after cornering too hard.
Board flex is critical to a board’s performance. Flex levels are soft, medium and stiff. Each has characteristics like specific shock absorption or speed control that manages everything from mellow cruising to bombing hills.
Boardlength and wheelbase
Longer boards and longer wheelbases allow greater speeds. Shorter boards and wheelbases allow faster and tighter turning.
Trucks provide turning and pivoting on the axle. Longboards have kingpins that are reversed or inverted, ensuring side-to-side movement, better control and stability. Carefully adjusted, better control turns. Tight trucks heighten high speed stability. Loose trucks make for better turns.
Wheels are probably the most important component in a board’s performance. Their road grip manages the entire riding experience.
Shape: The lips of the wheels come in two shapes, square and round.
A rounded wheel promises less traction in turns. Freeenders and freestylers prefer them as it gives them more power.
Square lipped wheels are not completely rounded, but squared at a 90 degree angle. There’s greater traction and sliding resistance. Power movers like to break them in for downhill and carving rides.
Other important components in the wheel construction are the durometer, core, width and height.
I hope this helped for buying a longboard and answered that question about how much does a longboard cost.