A few months ago, I bought a different motorcycle — a Suzuki DL650 V-Strom. I bought a new helmet, too. Before I bought a new helmet, I did research on good motorcycle helmet brands for street use.
- 2 Visors Included: Clear + Smoked and 1 Neck Scarf for Winter Use
- Streamlined Aerodynamic Design Reduces Wind Noise and Drag
- Advanced and Lightweight Durable ABS Shell
- Quick Release Clasp and Strap and Removable Inner Lining Pads
- Meets or Exceeds FMVSS-218 and DOT Safety Standards
- Lightweight and durable ABS shell，Meets or Exceeds FMVSS-218 and DOT Safety Standards.
- 2 visors，comes with clear and tinted visor，bring clear vision and block sunshine，meet both day and night riding.
- Design with Multiple ventilation system ,mouth and top inlet ventand rear outlet air vent.
- Multi Density EPS interior liner，Fully removable、comfortable and washable.
- Quick Release clasp and strap is easy to use and keep safe.
- ????Please measuring your head before bidding.Take a head measurement with a cloth tape measure.
- ????DOT Safety Standard, Comes with a Helmet Bag New In Box
- ????Removable and washable padding, adjustable circulation vents with flip-up visor
- ????Beautiful glossy UV protective finished
- ????S/M/L/XXL size For Adult: 【Sm Centimeter: 55-56CM=21 1/2 - 22inches; Hat Size :6 7/8 - 7inches 】; 【Md Centimeter: 57-58CM=22 1/4 - 22 3/4inches; Hat Size :7 1/8 - 7 1/4inches 】; 【Lg Centimeter: 59-60 CM=23 - 23 1/2 inches; Hat Size :7 3/8 - 7 1/2inches】; 【XL Centimeter: 61-62CM=23 3/4 - 24 1/4 inches; Hat Size: 7 5/8 - 7 3/4inches】;
- 【High-quality Material】 Safety material, ABS engineering material, breathable, odorless, impact resistance, high heat resistance, high strength, light weight, enhancing safety and comfort during riding.
- 【Helmet cushioning layer】The high-density EPS cushioning layer can better cushion the impact force, effectively absorb the external impact force, reduce the impact of the head.
- 【Comfortable texture lining】 mesh structure breathable lining, more comfortable and fashionable, high-density fiber tissue, sweat-absorbing and odor-proof, ensuring safety and taking into account the breathability of the helmet.
- 【Scope of Application】The german motorcycle helmet weighs only 1 pounds, which helps to reduce neck fatigue during long-distance travel or urban cycling commuters. This helmet for adults, youth, men and women. Motorcycles, mopeds, bicycles, cruisers, chopper, scooters.
- 【Customer Service】We have full confidence in the quality of half helmet, If you encounter any problems, please feel free to contact our customer support! We will provide you with the perfect solution! 100% satisfaction guaranteed, please rest assured to buy.
- 【Lightweight】Ultra Lightweight and Durable ABS Shell + Multi-Density EPS liner to meet or exceed FMVSS-218 and DOT Safety Standards.
- 【Ventilated】Multiple vents for optimum ventilation and quick release metal buckle offer solid protection.
- 【Removable & Washable】Equipped with fully removable, washable, and replaceable inner liners that are breathable and absorb sweat.
- 【Protective】The helmet comes with One tinted shield which is on the helmet, beautiful glossy UV protective finish.
- 【Detachable】The nose protector on the helmet can be removed if you needn't it.
- Meets or Exceeds FMVSS-218 and DOT Safety Standards.
- Advanced and extremely durable ABS shell for impeccable impact protection，Designed with quick release buckle and adjustable strap allows riders to easily taking on/off the helmet.
- Detachable Chin Guard,easy to replace.Double visors，clear outer visor is easy to remove and replace, retractable tinted inner lens protect your eyes from strong sunlight, sand
- Ventilation System with mouth vents,the front mouth vent forcing light flow of air helping to keep the rider cool 、comfortable and Breathable.
- High density EPS foam inner，providing good impact absorption, fully removable, washable, and replaceable inner pad，easy to clean; high-quality COOLMAX material fabric that absorbs sweat without compromising comfort or security，keep your head dry and comfortable，more soft and breathable
- Meet DOT & ECE safety standards and feature an aerodynamic design that reduces wind resistance and minimizes wind noise for a practical riding experience. The helmet is equipped with multiple vents that promote air circulation, and the hypoallergenic padding ensures both safety and comfort.
- Upgraded liner with a hypoallergenic design provides a comfortable and secure fit with excellent impact resistance. The Bluetooth headset slot enhances convenience, and the helmet is also eyeglasses-friendly.
- Hax helmet lenses offer clear and wide vision with Pinlock Ready plastic nails that allow for easy installation of an anti-fog lens (model DKS166, not included). The helmet comes with tail fins for and a thick cloth bag for storage. Pinlock lenses can be purchased directly from our store or details page.
- The latest UV treatment technology on the outer and inner visors provides maximum eye protection, blocking up to 98% of ultraviolet radiation. Visors of other colors can be purchased from our store or details page.
- Choose from a variety of trendy graphics options to match your personal riding style with Hax motorcycle helmets.
Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
In the end, I bought a Shoei Qwest, which fit my needs and price well. But Shoei was only one of the brands I considered.
Here is a non-comprehensive list of manufacturers who make some of the best motorcycle helmets on the market for street use, along with a review of the Shoei Qwest.
UPDATE in 2023: I use to use Shoei helmets but have since switched to Schueberth, which fit my head better.
17 motorbike helmet manufacturers list
AFX: AFX has been around since 1996, with US headquarters in Cerritos, Calif., and Candaidan headquarters in London, Ontario. They are a family-owned and operated company. Their sole focus are helmets. Product offerings include road and off-road helmets.
AGV: AGV was founded in 1946 by Gino Amisano. They started out making motorcycle saddles and leather seat then started making helmets a year later. AGV is currently headquartered in Alessandria, Piedmont, Italy, and their parent company is Dainese.
Arai: Arai was founded in 1926 by Hirotake Arai. Its current headquarters are Omiya-ku, Saitama, Saitama Prefecture, Japan. Arai helmets are hand-made. Despite being Snell and DOT certified, Arai helmets are “buil[t] to exceed the standards,” according to their website.
Bell Sports: Bell Helmet Company’s history dates back to the hot rod and racing scene in California in the 1950s. Its current headquarters is in Rantoul, Illinois. Product offerings include …
Fly Racing: Fly Racing’s roots go back to 1998. They got their start with handlebars and helmets. The company is headquarters in Boise, Idaho. Product offerings for the street include full-face and 1/2- and 3/4-helmets. They also offer helmets for off-road and snowmobile riders.
HJC: HJC has made motorcycle helmets since 1971. They have full-face, open-face, modular, off-road, snow, and auto offerings.
Icon Motorsports: Icon’s headquarters is in Portland, Oregon. They offer full-face helmets, along with riding apparel for men and women.
Kabuto: Founded in 1982, OGK Kabuto offers full-face and open-face helmets.
LS2: LS2 Helmets, whose roots begin in 1990, was started by Arthur Liao in a 600 square foot house. The company offers full-face and open face helmets, along with offerings for the street and off-road.
Nolan: Started Bergamo, Italy, in 1972, Nolan helmets. They offer open-face, full-face, modular, crossover helmets.
Reevu: Reevu was started in 1999. The company created a way to make an “integrated rear vision system that helps prevent accidents” in their helmets.
Schuberth: Schuberth’s roots begin in 1922 in Germany, but in 1954 they started producing motorbike helmets. They offer products for motorcyclists, car racers, along with products for the military, police, fire service and industrial safety workers.
Scorpion EXO: Scorpion EXO has been making helmets and motorcycle apparel for more than 10 years. They offer helmets for the street and dirt.
Shark: Headquartered in Marseille, Shark is a French-based company that has been producing helmets for more than 25 years. Their product lines provide helmets for street and off-road riders alike.
Shoei: Shoei started manufacturing safety helmets in 1959. By 1960, they began making motorcycle helmets. They offer a wide range of helmets for the off-road rider to street rider to racer.
Simpson: Simpson is a well-known brand in the automotive racing industry. For motorcycles, they offer full-face helmets.
Suomy: Started by Umberto Monti in 1997, Suomy is an Italian company that makes helmets. They offer a wide range of full-face helmets for street and off-road.
Shoei Qwest review
The Qwest is a full-face motorcycle helmet — designed for more upright riders. It is more of a commuter or touring helmet, which is visible with the shell’s profile.
Venting is good on this helmet. The Qwest has a large vent below the visor, which helps keep the visor from fogging. There is also a vent up top. It is fairly high up with the intent that riders who use this helmet may have larger than average windshields. There are also two vents on the rear of the helmet.
It is fairly quiet — I can’t say if it is the quietest motorcycle helmet but it is fairly good. It does have a little whistle when the visor is up.
The shield locking mechanism offers a lock to keep the shield in place during high speed runs at the track.
The mechanism also offers a way to leave a small crack open along the front of the helmet. This crack provides a little air to enter the helmet and help eliminate fogging.
The mechanism also has a few different detents, so the visor can be open further.
The visor has a small lip on the top of it, which acts as a seal to keep water out of the inside of the helmet while riding in the rain.
The visor comes off easily, as well.
The interior has a round oval fit, which is good for those of us with a little rounder of a head.
The cheek pads are removal and washable. Under the cheek pads, there is a small hole for a communication setup. There is ample chin space for a microphone as well.
The Qwest is Snell 2010 and DOT approved. (A helmet approved by these two safety standard setting organizations ensures that it is one of the safest motorcycle helmets you can buy for the street.)
As a brand, Shoei stands behind their products: They offer a five year warranty from the purchase date and seven year warranty from the date of manufacture.
I like the Qwest. It fits me well and suits my riding style.
I bought the matte black finish, which was all the local shop had in stock. (I think bright colors and graphics make for some of the best looking motorcycle helmets.) The graphics do increase the price by about $100 dollars.
‘Where can I buy a motorcycle helmet?’
Options abound where you can buy a motorcycle helmet. Local motorcycle dealers are your best place to buy a motorcycle helmet.
At a local shop you can try the helmet on and eliminate buying a too-small or too-big helmet. Nobody wants an ill-fitting helmet. They can help fit you if you don’t know how. A local shop will know what style helmet to suggest depending on your riding. You, also, support the local economy.
If you know what you want and are not against ordering online, there are many, many options. I can’t list every online retailer, but I have ordered from RevZilla and Amazon — both with excellent results.
Video: Guide to choosing the right helmet
Originally posted 2023-01-06 04:03:31.