A good duck feeder and waterer will keep your duckling’s feed and water contained. It does not matter if you use a floating duck feeder on the pond or automatic duck feeder on land.
Many young, baby ducks have a tendency to kick over their food and water, which makes everything wet and dirty. This typically happens when using some type of bowl design.
Here are three good duck feeders available on Amazon.
- Save time and money feeding your ducks. Innovative design for reduced wastage and clean water
- Feed only your ducks not the sparrows, squirrels or rodents. Rain cover for weather protection
- European made, valve-operated drinker cups for a fresh supply of clean water. Easy to fill
- Hooks straight onto mesh or attach to a wall with free brackets included. 1 set suits around 4 ducks
- 6.5lbs feeder, 1 gal. waterer, 20” tall, UV stable, durable PVC plastic, Australian made quality
- ✅WALL-MOUNTED DESIGN: Features a wall-mounted design can be installed inside or outside of your coop on wood or wire with all installing kits included which prevent feed from getting wet or dirty.
- ✅BUILT TO LAST: Built with high quality galvanized steel finish and protective lid made this chicken feeder tough lasting in outdoor weather no matter if it's scorching sun, a light rainstorm or snowfall. A small ceiling above feed outlet keeps the feed clean and dry even on rainy days.
- ✅ANIMAL BANDIT PROOF: Heavy-duty feeder material and closed headcover means no more problems with wild birds, rats, squirrels, or any other animals trying to steal feed.
- ✅TIME-SAVER: No need to rush home to feed your hens any more with our chicken feeder. Semi-closed design reduces feed spills and wastage. The openable lid provides a quick feed filling and easy maintenance.
- ✅LARGE FEED CAPACITY: Holds 13L of feed. The suitable size is applied to all chickens, pheasants, turkeys and more.
- ✔️ FULLY AUTOMATIC with no pecking required, when the water level gets low the cups refill automatically.
- ✔️ EASY TO INSTALL AND CLEAN drill a 3/8" hole in the bucket and set at the correct height for your birds, or use low pressure PVC pipe.
- ✔️ RELIABLE DESIGN means less breakages and a constant supply of fresh and clean water.
- ✔️ LARGER CUP SIZE almost 3" cup diameter means these cups are suitable for all poultry.
- ✔️ LATEST DESIGN
Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Guide to Buying a Duck Feeder
The number of ducks you own should be parallel to the size of the feeder that you would want to purchase.
Therefore, the number of ducks to feed, the wider and the longer the feeder should be. An example of a duck feeder that can feed a huge part of a flock of ducks is the Plastic Flip Top Poultry Feeder. It can be purchased off of Amazon and can feed up-to 16 ducklings at once.
- HOLES FOR FEEDING - This feeder tray features 28 feeding holes (14 on each side) that allow feeding at a controlled rate.
- PROTECT YOUR FEED - The covered top helps preserve your chicken food and keeps debris out of the feed.
- MINIMIZE WASTE - The plastic poultry feeder has individual feeding holes that minimize waste from spillage.
- EASY TO CLEAN - The durable feeder's top slides off for easy filling and cleaning, allowing for stress-free use.
- HIGHLY DURABLE - The feed tray is made of high-density polypropylene plastic allowing for years of service.
Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Easy to clean
As a poultry farmer, one of the most challenging bits of keeping ducks is maintaining farming equipment inclusive of feeders.
Therefore, one would be keen to obtain a feeder that is easy to clean since it shall be undertaken on a routine basis.
To achieve this guideline, one ought to be on the lookout for a poultry feeder that has a curvy base as opposed to a sharp edge base where stubborn bits of a ducks’ feed lingers.
All weather feeder
Sustainability is always a preceding factor while purchasing a duck feeder.
Refrain from picking feeders made out of weary tin material as it’s easily exposed to rust.
Rusting in metal degrades the quality of the metal as well as the durability of the feeder in entirety. Acquire a feeder that is value for your money.
Since the duck feeder shall be placed outdoors for the majority of the time, or out of the equipment store, be well aware of rodents.
To safeguard the duck feeders from rodents, pick out a feeder that features stands at its base such that it shall be raised from the ground. Moreover, feeder containers made out of skiddy materials such as galvanized steel or compacted polyvinyl chloride plastic (PVC duck feeder) are known to discourage rodents from nibbling on the duck feeder.
An ideal purchased duck feeder ought to be multi-purpose. Therefore, while looking to buy one, prioritize a multifaceted kind of a feeder.
Most chicken feeders are troublesome for feeding ducks. If you keep a mixed breed of poultry, choose a duck feeder whose features can also work well to feed other birds. The most recommended multipurpose feeder is the bin feeder that can be easily accessed from farming stores or by making it yourself.
How much duck feed does it hold?
While choosing a duck feeder for purchase, ensure that its design is not wasteful in functionality. Such a feeder should have the capacity to utilize the bottom third of the feeding container to the absolute maximum.
A duck feeder measuring at 50 litres should be able to hold approximately 10 Kgs worth of feed without any spilling or loss.
The feeder’s design should also allow portion control. A duck can rake through on what it desires on feeding on and the rest of the feed remains intact for the next duck or for another time scheduled for feeding.
Can be used for any feed
A duck’s feed comes in different forms. Some of them are in the form of pellets, grains, seethed soaked feed and garden or kitchen waste or surplus.
Duck feeders should be able to accommodate all forms of feeds without having to be modified in shape or size. While seeking to secure a duck feeder, it is advisable to pick one with a broad flat base that can easily hold all manner of feeds.
Clog free automatic duck feeders
A huge issue with a variety of duck feeders is that they get clogged up when exposed to wet weather or damp circumstances.
Famous duck feeders that are often casualties of clogs are those that feature gravity chute chambers or those that involve tunnels as the feed chambers.
High incidences of clogged feeders lower the value of your feeder. In addition to that, when clogs are not sanitary sorted out, ducks’ health can be affected.
Duck feeder design: Multi-access points
Variety of stylish and updated makes of duck feeders have a single access point. Such a feature is not ideal especially for a poultry farmer keeping enormous flocks of ducks. Single access point feeders are known to encourage hostility and cannibalism among ducks all which can render the farmer go at a loss.
For purposes of effectiveness and work-ability, choose a duck feeder with several access points proportional to the size of the entire feeder.
A fair number of access points would be 5 access points for a feeder measuring at forty-five centimeters at the base and about twenty three centimeters from the edge to the midpoint.
Open to alterations
It is advisable to keep note that one may not always find the duck feeder that checks out ones’ entire list. However, that bit should not hinder one from obtaining a feeder that ticks out the essential part of ones’ list.
One should pick out a feeder that can be easily adjusted and get aligned with all the specifications that one wanted to be met. An adjustable kind of a feeder should still maintain its functionality and durability properties.
Homemade duck feeder
A DIY duck feeder may be the route you take. Below is a video of one: