A good duck feeder and waterer will keep your duckling’s feed and water contained. It does not matter if you use a floating duck feeder on the pond or automatic duck feeder on land.
Many young, baby ducks have a tendency to kick over their food and water, which makes everything wet and dirty. This typically happens when using some type of bowl design.
Here are three good duck feeders available on Amazon.
- 🐓 Holds up to 25 Pounds of Feed - Only your hens will each the fresh, dry feed. This feeder is 100% rain-proof and spill proof
- 🐓 The 25LB Rainproof Galvanized Feeder prevents feed spill and is 100% waterproof. The design also deters rodents and wild birds from stealing and contaminating your chicken's feed. Save $$ on Feed costs with this feeder
- 🐓 Comes with all necessary hardware including 2 screws for installing on wood and instructions booklet.
- 🐓 Suitable for all types of feed - Pellets, Crumbles, Grain and Scratch. For Poultry 12 weeks and older only.
- 🐓 BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE! Here to answer any questions you may have.
- NO ASSEMBLY REQUIRED - This product comes completely assembled and is made of tough, galvanized steel. no tools or assembly required.
- HIGH FEEDING CAPACITY - The feeder stores and dispenses up to 25 lbs. of mash, pellet or crumble feed.
- WALL MOUNTABLE - This poultry feeder can sit on the ground or can be mounted to a wall or frame. Mounting hardware not included.
- OPEN FLOW CHUTE DESIGN - The feeder has a specially designed chute that allows for steady food flow without blockage.
- DECREASES FEED WASTE - The feeder has a feed saver grid prevents bottom from overfilling and keeps birds from sweeping feed out of unit.
- 🐓 For chickens 12 weeks and older. (Younger/smaller chickens can crawl in the port) No-Roost Cap included! Place feeder anywhere in your yard/run and the feed stays dry. No need to put it under cover.
- 🐓 No more squirrels, wild birds, mice or rats getting into your coop looking for feed on the ground 99% of feed stays in the feeder - Even with your most wasteful hen!
- 🐓 100% Food Grade and BPA Free Plastic - Comes fully assembled - Simply fill with feed and it's ready for your hens. Holds 20 pounds of feed! Refill once every 30 days for 2 hens, 14 days for 4 hens and once every week for 8 hens.
- 🐓 Handy? Try out our new "Make your own feeder kit" sold here on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D1BMN4D
- 🐓 Check out our new "25LB Outdoor Rainproof Metal Feeder" sold here on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CGP4QBP?ref=myi_title_dp
Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Guide to Buying a Duck Feeder
The number of ducks you own should be parallel to the size of the feeder that you would want to purchase.
Therefore, the number of ducks to feed, the wider and the longer the feeder should be. An example of a duck feeder that can feed a huge part of a flock of ducks is the Plastic Flip Top Poultry Feeder. It can be purchased off of Amazon and can feed up-to 16 ducklings at once.
- HOLES FOR FEEDING - This feeder tray features 28 feeding holes (14 on each side) that allow feeding at a controlled rate.
- PROTECT YOUR FEED - The covered top helps preserve your chicken food and keeps debris out of the feed.
- MINIMIZE WASTE - The plastic poultry feeder has individual feeding holes that minimize waste from spillage.
- EASY TO CLEAN - The durable feeder's top slides off for easy filling and cleaning, allowing for stress-free use.
- HIGHLY DURABLE - The feed tray is made of high-density polypropylene plastic allowing for years of service.
Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Easy to clean
As a poultry farmer, one of the most challenging bits of keeping ducks is maintaining farming equipment inclusive of feeders.
Therefore, one would be keen to obtain a feeder that is easy to clean since it shall be undertaken on a routine basis.
To achieve this guideline, one ought to be on the lookout for a poultry feeder that has a curvy base as opposed to a sharp edge base where stubborn bits of a ducks’ feed lingers.
All weather feeder
Sustainability is always a preceding factor while purchasing a duck feeder.
Refrain from picking feeders made out of weary tin material as it’s easily exposed to rust.
Rusting in metal degrades the quality of the metal as well as the durability of the feeder in entirety. Acquire a feeder that is value for your money.
Since the duck feeder shall be placed outdoors for the majority of the time, or out of the equipment store, be well aware of rodents.
To safeguard the duck feeders from rodents, pick out a feeder that features stands at its base such that it shall be raised from the ground. Moreover, feeder containers made out of skiddy materials such as galvanized steel or compacted polyvinyl chloride plastic (PVC duck feeder) are known to discourage rodents from nibbling on the duck feeder.
An ideal purchased duck feeder ought to be multi-purpose. Therefore, while looking to buy one, prioritize a multifaceted kind of a feeder.
Most chicken feeders are troublesome for feeding ducks. If you keep a mixed breed of poultry, choose a duck feeder whose features can also work well to feed other birds. The most recommended multipurpose feeder is the bin feeder that can be easily accessed from farming stores or by making it yourself.
How much duck feed does it hold?
While choosing a duck feeder for purchase, ensure that its design is not wasteful in functionality. Such a feeder should have the capacity to utilize the bottom third of the feeding container to the absolute maximum.
A duck feeder measuring at 50 litres should be able to hold approximately 10 Kgs worth of feed without any spilling or loss.
The feeder’s design should also allow portion control. A duck can rake through on what it desires on feeding on and the rest of the feed remains intact for the next duck or for another time scheduled for feeding.
Can be used for any feed
A duck’s feed comes in different forms. Some of them are in the form of pellets, grains, seethed soaked feed and garden or kitchen waste or surplus.
Duck feeders should be able to accommodate all forms of feeds without having to be modified in shape or size. While seeking to secure a duck feeder, it is advisable to pick one with a broad flat base that can easily hold all manner of feeds.
Clog free automatic duck feeders
A huge issue with a variety of duck feeders is that they get clogged up when exposed to wet weather or damp circumstances.
Famous duck feeders that are often casualties of clogs are those that feature gravity chute chambers or those that involve tunnels as the feed chambers.
High incidences of clogged feeders lower the value of your feeder. In addition to that, when clogs are not sanitary sorted out, ducks’ health can be affected.
Duck feeder design: Multi-access points
Variety of stylish and updated makes of duck feeders have a single access point. Such a feature is not ideal especially for a poultry farmer keeping enormous flocks of ducks. Single access point feeders are known to encourage hostility and cannibalism among ducks all which can render the farmer go at a loss.
For purposes of effectiveness and work-ability, choose a duck feeder with several access points proportional to the size of the entire feeder.
A fair number of access points would be 5 access points for a feeder measuring at forty-five centimeters at the base and about twenty three centimeters from the edge to the midpoint.
Open to alterations
It is advisable to keep note that one may not always find the duck feeder that checks out ones’ entire list. However, that bit should not hinder one from obtaining a feeder that ticks out the essential part of ones’ list.
One should pick out a feeder that can be easily adjusted and get aligned with all the specifications that one wanted to be met. An adjustable kind of a feeder should still maintain its functionality and durability properties.
Homemade duck feeder
A DIY duck feeder may be the route you take. Below is a video of one: