A good duck feeder and waterer will keep your duckling’s feed and water contained. It does not matter if you use a floating duck feeder on the pond or automatic duck feeder on land.
Many young, baby ducks have a tendency to kick over their food and water, which makes everything wet and dirty. This typically happens when using some type of bowl design.
Here are three good duck feeders available on Amazon.
- EXTRA LARGE FEED STORAGE. The OverEZ chicken feeder allows three birds to feed at once and holds up to 50 pounds of feed to avoid recurring maintenance. With a chicken coop accessory this efficient, you’ll only have to refill every 4-6 weeks for 3-5 hens, 2-3 weeks for 6-11 hens, or every 1-2 weeks for 12-15 hens.
- COUNTRY TOUGH DURABILITY. Our chicken coop feeder can be used as both an indoor and outdoor feed dispenser. UV-protected and food-safe, our BPA-free chicken feeder is made of recyclable plastic so there’ll be no waste before, during, or after using your OverEZ feeder for fowl.
- NO-WASTE FEEDING DESIGN: The three smart-feeding ports are designed to prevent chickens from soiling or spilling feed, meaning less wasted feed and a cleaner coop for your birds. When it rains, the port overhang and hidden recessed channel prevent runoff water from leaking into the feeder and ruining large amounts of feed for your chickens.
- EASY CLEANING & MAINTENANCE: The poultry feeder can be cleaned and refilled on the ground, unlike other chicken feeders. The wide-mouth opening allows you to easily fill the chicken coop feeder and replace the lid to keep water out.
- GRAVITY-FED: As chickens eat from the feeding ports, the angled design easily allows food to flow directly down for the chicken’s easy reach. The shallow base saves time by allowing your chickens to easily reach the bottom of the feeder. DIMENSIONS: 22 3/4" L X 12 1/2" D X 16 1/4" H
- [Automated Chicken Feeder]: Encourage natural feeding behavior with the Rural365 17.6-Pound Treadle Feeder Chickens Auto Poultry Feeder; Automatic closing design keeps food safe from pests and the elements
- [Weight-Activated Design]: Adjust the levered platform from 12.5 ounces to 3 pounds (350 to 1400g) pressure minimums to ensure your chickens, rabbits, ducks, and other medium-sized pets can feed when they climb onto the threshold
- [Protect Your Feed]: Weight minimums ensure rats, mice, squirrels, and smaller birds cannot feed from your big chicken feeder; The pest proof chicken feeder exposes food only when the treadle is activated to protect feed and pellets from the elements
- [Large Capacity]: Automatic duck feeder chicken food dispenser with lid holds up to 17.6 pounds (8kg) of feed; Suitable for small flocks (6 to 12 birds); Makes feeding time easier for you and your feathered friends; Spill-edge reduces messes and waste
- [Built to Last]: 1mm galvanized plates ensure stability while molded plastic parts provide resistance to weather and UV rays; Sloped cover keeps chickens from roosting on top of the chicken feed trough; Chicken feed dispenser requires minimal assembly; Not designed for chicks or other small animals
- SAVE MONEY AND TIME- Cut down on feed cost and trips to the barn. Metallic grill prevents poultry from spilling feed.
- WEATHERPROOF- 100% rainproof, security knowing your feed is protected in extreme weather conditions. Now includes weatherproof stickers to cover the training bold holes when not in use
- PEST PROOF- Keeps out raccoons, wild birds, squirrels, mice and other pests. New model for 2022 includes lid latches to prevent any unwanted animals from accessing feed
- EASY TO USE- Quick set up. Holds pellets, crumbles, scratch and grain
- TRAINING- 3 step training process provided in our instructional video so hens learn to get used to their new feeder quickly
Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Guide to Buying a Duck Feeder
The number of ducks you own should be parallel to the size of the feeder that you would want to purchase.
Therefore, the number of ducks to feed, the wider and the longer the feeder should be. An example of a duck feeder that can feed a huge part of a flock of ducks is the Plastic Flip Top Poultry Feeder. It can be purchased off of Amazon and can feed up-to 16 ducklings at once.
- HOLES FOR FEEDING - This feeder tray features 28 feeding holes (14 on each side) that allow feeding at a controlled rate.
- PROTECT YOUR FEED - The covered top helps preserve your chicken food and keeps debris out of the feed.
- MINIMIZE WASTE - The plastic poultry feeder has individual feeding holes that minimize waste from spillage.
- EASY TO CLEAN - The durable feeder's top slides off for easy filling and cleaning, allowing for stress-free use.
- HIGHLY DURABLE - The feed tray is made of high-density polypropylene plastic allowing for years of service.
Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Easy to clean
As a poultry farmer, one of the most challenging bits of keeping ducks is maintaining farming equipment inclusive of feeders.
Therefore, one would be keen to obtain a feeder that is easy to clean since it shall be undertaken on a routine basis.
To achieve this guideline, one ought to be on the lookout for a poultry feeder that has a curvy base as opposed to a sharp edge base where stubborn bits of a ducks’ feed lingers.
All weather feeder
Sustainability is always a preceding factor while purchasing a duck feeder.
Refrain from picking feeders made out of weary tin material as it’s easily exposed to rust.
Rusting in metal degrades the quality of the metal as well as the durability of the feeder in entirety. Acquire a feeder that is value for your money.
Since the duck feeder shall be placed outdoors for the majority of the time, or out of the equipment store, be well aware of rodents.
To safeguard the duck feeders from rodents, pick out a feeder that features stands at its base such that it shall be raised from the ground. Moreover, feeder containers made out of skiddy materials such as galvanized steel or compacted polyvinyl chloride plastic (PVC duck feeder) are known to discourage rodents from nibbling on the duck feeder.
An ideal purchased duck feeder ought to be multi-purpose. Therefore, while looking to buy one, prioritize a multifaceted kind of a feeder.
Most chicken feeders are troublesome for feeding ducks. If you keep a mixed breed of poultry, choose a duck feeder whose features can also work well to feed other birds. The most recommended multipurpose feeder is the bin feeder that can be easily accessed from farming stores or by making it yourself.
How much duck feed does it hold?
While choosing a duck feeder for purchase, ensure that its design is not wasteful in functionality. Such a feeder should have the capacity to utilize the bottom third of the feeding container to the absolute maximum.
A duck feeder measuring at 50 litres should be able to hold approximately 10 Kgs worth of feed without any spilling or loss.
The feeder’s design should also allow portion control. A duck can rake through on what it desires on feeding on and the rest of the feed remains intact for the next duck or for another time scheduled for feeding.
Can be used for any feed
A duck’s feed comes in different forms. Some of them are in the form of pellets, grains, seethed soaked feed and garden or kitchen waste or surplus.
Duck feeders should be able to accommodate all forms of feeds without having to be modified in shape or size. While seeking to secure a duck feeder, it is advisable to pick one with a broad flat base that can easily hold all manner of feeds.
Clog free automatic duck feeders
A huge issue with a variety of duck feeders is that they get clogged up when exposed to wet weather or damp circumstances.
Famous duck feeders that are often casualties of clogs are those that feature gravity chute chambers or those that involve tunnels as the feed chambers.
High incidences of clogged feeders lower the value of your feeder. In addition to that, when clogs are not sanitary sorted out, ducks’ health can be affected.
Duck feeder design: Multi-access points
Variety of stylish and updated makes of duck feeders have a single access point. Such a feature is not ideal especially for a poultry farmer keeping enormous flocks of ducks. Single access point feeders are known to encourage hostility and cannibalism among ducks all which can render the farmer go at a loss.
For purposes of effectiveness and work-ability, choose a duck feeder with several access points proportional to the size of the entire feeder.
A fair number of access points would be 5 access points for a feeder measuring at forty-five centimeters at the base and about twenty three centimeters from the edge to the midpoint.
Open to alterations
It is advisable to keep note that one may not always find the duck feeder that checks out ones’ entire list. However, that bit should not hinder one from obtaining a feeder that ticks out the essential part of ones’ list.
One should pick out a feeder that can be easily adjusted and get aligned with all the specifications that one wanted to be met. An adjustable kind of a feeder should still maintain its functionality and durability properties.
Homemade duck feeder
A DIY duck feeder may be the route you take. Below is a video of one: