Even in the age when mobile phones have dominated the communication industry, the best walkie talkie for hunting in woods are still highly practical and far simpler.
Hunters trekking in the woods or mountains may find that they are so isolated that the usual communication networks will not work for them.
Communication between units is not dependent on stations or towers – the units connect directly.
The effectiveness of two-way radios, however, is not limited to outlying and isolated locations.
Good long range radios for hunting reviews
- RUGGED AND WATERPROOF - Waterproof (IPX4) walkie talkie with upto 38-mile range. Built with a strong shell and drop-proof design so your radio can withstand harsh conditions. The waterproof design allows clear communication in rain or shine.
- 60 PRESET CHANNELS - Easy access to 22 standard FRS channels plus 38 pre-programmed channel/privacy code combinations to secure your conversations from surrounding hikers, hunters or wherever your adventure takes you.
- NOAA WEATHER CHANNELS – Get 24/7 access to NOAA weather channels so you can always be prepared and connected with those you are traveling with in the instance you run into bad weather conditions.
- VOICE-ACTIVATED TRANSMISSION (VOX) – Hands-free usage to automatically transmit when you speak so you can keep your arms and hands free. Great when hunting or for construction sites or other working conditions.
- PATENTED VIBRALERT – Enhanced vibrating feedback notifies you of incoming transmissions, so you never miss an alert. The built in LED Flashlight is a great addition to your camping accessories or enable the SOS function with the push of a button.
- Included Components: 3 Radios, 3 Belt Clips, 3 Nimh Battery Packs, 1 "Y" Cable Charging Adapter With Dual Micro-Usb Connectos, 1 Charging Cable, 1 User Guide
- 【Two way Radio】FCC ID ; 2ASV6-T5A. MOICO walkie talkies have 22 FRS channels plus 99 sets of CTCSS tones (privacy codes),The continuous tone-coded squelch system gives you up to 2178 combinations to help block other conversations.one-to-one or one-to-more communication function allow more walkie talkies to communicate on the same channel.
- 【VOX-Hands Free Function】Walkie talkies for adults have easy voice and sound activation transmission (VOX) with 3 sensitivity levels for hands-free operation.you can keep in touch with friends and families at any time when you camping adventure or in a crowded supermarket.
- 【 Long Distance Walkie Talkies】Walkie talkie can reach 3-5 miles communication range in open areas such as rural areas, suburbs or seaside, etc. where there is no shelter. If in cities or towns, walkie talkies can reach 0.6-1.2 miles. Adverse weather, car(Iron material), voyage and buildings will affect the range. The actual distance depends on the obstruction of the current environment.
- 【Back-lit LCD Screen and LED flashlight】This walkie talkies has bold green back-lit LCD screen provides high visibility in night. Built-in LED torch can be used as both flash and emergency light.Small size and light weight, Hard and durable shell, drop-proof.MOICO walkie talkie let you and your family enjoy games or outdoor adventures.
- 【After-Sales Service Assurance】MOICO provide a money back within 30 days and lifetime customer service.If you have any questions, please send email to us through the Amazon platform, we have professional engineers can solve your problem as soon as possible.
- 2-Way Radios - These Walkie-Talkies Feature 50 Gmrs (General Mobile Radio Service) Channels, Along With Channel Scan To Check For Activity. The Jis4 Waterproof Protection Prevents Splashing Water From Having Any Harmful Effect On It (Splash Resistant)
- 36-Mile Range - Longer Range Communication In Open Areas With Little Or No Obstruction. Easy Voice And Sound Activation Transmission (Evox) With 9 Sensitivity Levels For Hands-Free Operation
- 142 Ctcss/Dcs Privacy Codes - The Privacy Codes Give You Up To 3,124 Channel Options To Block Other Conversations
- Noaa Weather Scan + Alert - Noaa Weather Scan Will Automatically Scan Through 10 Available Weather (Wx) Band Channels And Locks Onto The Strongest Weather Channel To Alert You Of Severe Weather Updates. Noaa Weather Alert Will Sound An Alarm Indicating That There Is A Risk Of Severe Weather In Your Area
- LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY: Pledge to replace product that is defective in material or workmanship as long as you are the original purchaser. Warranty only valid by authorized resellers.
- WHAT'S IN THE BOX? 2x LPX650 Walkie Talkie Two Way Radios, 6x 1000mAH NiMH Rechargeable Batteries, 2x Belt Clips, 1x USB-C Charging Dock, User Guide. NOTE: Radios can also be used with AA alkaline batteries [not included].
- ULTRA CLEAR LONG DISTANCE RECEPTION: Two watts of power provides up to 42 miles (68 kilometers) of range.
- PRIVACY WITH PRESET CHANNELS: 48 channels have been preset with privacy codes to minimize unwanted interference from others.
- RUGGED, FLOATING DESIGN: IP67 standard means your walkie talkies are equipped with dustproof/waterproof protection, plus they are shock resistant (up to 1.5 meter drops).
- 【1】With Function VFO & Memory channels scan，Dual display / Dual standby/ Auto Keypad Lock
- 【2】The Radio is necessary for traveling, survival, hiking, cycling, work, camping, fishing, Emergency Alarm. it is Walkie talkie lover's favorite.
- 【3】In addition to the original Baofeng antenna, we also gave away a bend freely 2X771 soft antenna to increase the communication distance and make your conversation smoother.
- 【FCC Certificate】FCC Part 15 Part 97 Certified，FFC ID: 2AJGM-UV5R
- 【5】Package Include: 2 X Portable radio 2 X Baofeng Antenna 2 X 771 Soft Antenna 2 X 1800mAh Li-ion battery 2 X Charger 2 X Belt clip 2 X The sling 2 X Earpiece 2 X User's manual
- Durable Li-ion Battery - Each walkie talkie radio comes with 1200mAh lithium rechargeable batteries, a recharge cable that allows up to 2 radios to be charged at once, which minimizes the burden, the walkie talkies can be used for 3-4 days with a full charge.
- Long Range Two-Way Radios - NXGKET walkie talkies for adults have pretty clear audio even at long distance, High/Low TX power selectable, just make sure you're on the same channel. 2-way radios walkie talkies support up to 3 miles communication range in open fields, adverse weather, buildings(yard, street), car and voyage will affect the range.
- Compatible with Any Radio - With 22 channels, 121 privacy codes to choose from walkie talkie set. You can communicate with other FRS radios regardless of brand by being on the same channel and privacy codes. With VOX switched on, NXGKET walky talky will auto turns itself on when the user starts talking and shuts off when there is no sound.
- Modernized Design & Function - 4 pack walkie talkies smallish in size, durable and environmentally friendly material, Large LCD screen with backlight, also support many advanced features, such as Auto squelch, Auto memory, Auto scan, Auto power saving, Low battery alert, Keypad lock(Channel-lock), etc.
- Suitable for Anyone - Carry in backpack or on the belt, NXGKET walkie talkies rechargeable provides long-range communication and clear sound for hiking, biking, camping trip, road trip, scavenger hunts and so on. 4 piece set of radios walk-in talkies are also a great communication tool for men, women, kids, and elders to talk with others at home.
Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
In the heart of bustling metros, two-way radio systems provide businesses with a means to coordinate and work closely.
This is evident in emergency teams where time and coordination are foremost. Employees in a high-rise company cannot let miscommunication get in the way.
Unlike cell phones, there are no bills to pay periodically. Two-way radios are the practical means to enable work teams to get things done efficiently at the least cost.
Here are important things to consider before buying one of the best two-way radios on the market.
Number of channels on a two-way radio
Two-way radios offer from 2 to 14 channels for you to access. The more channels are available to you, the better accessibility you have especially in areas that are high-traffic.
Ask for models that allow accessing to sub-channels. A model that has 10 channels and 38 sub-channels per channel, for instance, actually connects you to 380 contacts and makes communicating much easier.
Naturally, the more channels you can use, the expensive the model will be.
Long range radio range and frequency
Two-way radios usually work on 1- to 2-mile radius, but the weather and landscape of the area where the equipment will be used are factors that you must always consider.
At this range, you will not need special licenses. A band of radio frequencies, called Family Radio Service (or FRS), is provided free by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) for these communication devices.
Some models can be extended beyond the FRS range to provide clearer quality of communication and bigger range through a different frequency, called Ultra High Frequency (UHF).
If you are interested in these models, however, be aware that the FCC will require you to obtain a General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) license with the corresponding fee.
For family and recreational use, the lower-range models usually serve the purpose.
Walkie talkie call functions in the forest
Many models now come with expanded functions. Some features may not be very useful to you and may just add up to the cost, so decide which features are actually important to your purpose. Here are some of the functions featured in most models:
Channel saver – this is a common feature, but offered either as manual or automatic.
Vibrating alert – a particularly useful setting option when you’re hunting. Incoming calls are often indicated by a ring which can be quite annoying when you’re poised to shoot a game.
Beeps to signal end of sentence – this is a cue that one party has stopped talking and that the other party may start talking.
Last-channel recall – similar to “redial.”
Channel scanning – shows in-use channels.
Frequently-used channels memory – stores the channels and sub-channels that are often used by the owner. This allows for fast access.
Hands-free feature – check for speaker-and-microphone jacks even when you don’t find need for them or own these accessories at present.
Hand held radio privacy call or code
Other equipment with the same frequency and number of channels as yours can tune in to your channel, so look for a model that has a privacy call feature.
Battery life with long range radios when hunting in the woods
Ninety per cent of your battery is used up on standby, the remaining 10% is used transmitting and receiving calls.
Different models use either nickel cadmium or alkaline batteries. Nickel cadmium batteries are more expensive and require a charger.
Analog or digital walkie talkies
The traditional models of two-way radios use the analog system.
Radio makers and users are making a big switch to digital systems, however, because of greater voice clarity, noise and interference elimination, higher capacity, guaranteed privacy, and other enhanced features.
While the analog system’s usefulness is not completely obscured, it is safe to say that the digital system is the future of two-way systems.
Make a choice that works for you
Radio equipment comes with many features, such as special buttons for making emergency calls, high power ratings, weather information channels, and display screen for notifications and info (on time, compass, temperature, altitude or atmospheric pressure).
As in any other equipment that you buy, choosing a good two-way radio in 2017 generally depends on what its purpose will be to you.