The best 50/50 dual sport tire for an Africa Twin will stick to the roads in the rain and keep you from spinning your tyres in the sand and mud.
You also want long lasting dual sport tires for your KLR, V-Strom, or KTM adventure motorcycle because bald ones will get you stuck in the dirt.
I’ve run a lot of 50/50 tires on my four bikes, including an Africa Twin, KLR, KTM, and Vstrom.
As of late, I only ride the Africa Twin and and have found the best tires for longevity and traction for my riding are the Motoz Tractionator GPS.
No products found.
Motoz Tractionator Review
When it comes to choosing the best adventure motorcycle tires, Motoz Tractionator tires offer superior performance in a range of off-road terrains and environments in my experience.
These tires are designed to handle dirt, gravel and mud with utmost efficiency, providing great road manners and a dependable grip on loose surfaces.
The design includes angled tread blocks for superior agility and an extra deep rim guard for exceptional sidewall protection on rough terrain.
These tires are not just exceptionally good at what they do: they are also durable enough to withstand the wear and tear of long trips in extreme terrain without compromising performance or stability.
The deep tread pattern provides superior grip in any kind of terrain, allowing bikes to get up steep inclines or navigate through mud or sand while giving users complete control over the bike’s handling.
They also provide excellent ground clearance which is important when riding off road as it helps avoid getting stuck in the mud or sand.
The Motoz Tractionator tires provide a great balance between traction, stability and durability that make them the perfect choice for any kind of adventure motorcycle owner.
Although more expensive than regular off-road tires, these tires offer great value for money as they will last longer and not require frequent replacements as some lesser quality alternatives might require.
Motoz Tractionator’s superior quality also makes them an excellent choice for those planning long-distance trips across all kinds of terrains from forests to deserts.
No products found.
Popular 50/50 adventure tires
- Continental Twinduro TKC80
- Shinko E-805 Big Block Rear Tire
- Heidenau K60 Scout
- Mitas E-07 Dakar PLUS
- Pirelli MT90AT Scorpion
- Kenda K784 Big Block Rear Tire
- Metzeler Enduro 3 Sahara
Shinko E-805 Big Block review
The Shinko E-805 Big Block tires are a popular choice for adventure motorcycles.
They are designed to provide excellent traction when riding on dirt, gravel, and other surfaces. They offer good road manners and don’t require frequent adjustments due to their flexible tread pattern.
These tires have improved gripping characteristics that reduce slipping in the mud, making them perfect for tackling tough off-road routes.
The Shinko E-805 Big Block tires are made with a radial casing construction that increases durability and strength on hard surfaces.
The densely-packed tread blocks also ensure that they last longer while providing plenty of grip over challenging terrain. They also boast an aggressive tread pattern that helps to optimize acceleration, turning performance, and braking effectiveness whether you’re riding on road or off.
Overall, the Shinko E-805 Big Block tires perform exceptionally well in almost any conditions without compromising on fast wear or performance capabilities.
They provide an excellent balance between stability and grip in both wet and dry conditions making them a great choice for adventure riders who want an all-in-one tire solution they can rely on when tackling any type of terrain or climate.
In my experience, Shinko tires are great at what they do. They were some of the best dirt bike tires for gravel roads on my V-Strom. They are a softer compound, which means they wear fast.
Guide to buying the best 50/50 adventure bike motorcycle tires for the Africa Twin
Good 50/50 adventure tires are one of the most critical choices you make for your bike. Good suspension and brakes upgrades are important too. They are essential to efficient riding, safety, and comfort.
Different tires are designed to fit different riding locations, practices, and riding surfaces. The following are the key characteristics to consider.
Pattern Shape matters for the CRF1100
Pattern shape refers to how the groves and tread channels are cut on the tire. Pattern shape determines how the tire grips the road in dry or wet conditions. Tread patterns that are further apart are meant for damp road surfaces.
Knob size determines how much of the tire’s surface is in contact with the road. The more the surface contacted by the tire’s capacity, the more the traction available.
Tread depth: 8mm new on the Motoz Tractionator GPS 50/50 tires for the Africa Twin
The best dual sport tires for the dirt or sand will have deeper treads. Fifty-fifty tire with deep treads are preferred to obtain better traction with the surface beneath easily. Deep tread patterns are preferred for riding on muddy surfaces.
There is more to choosing the right adventure motorcycle dual sport tires for your bike. Read on to get a detailed understanding that will help you make an informed decision when buying dual sport tires for gravel.
What does the percentage values in dual tires mean?
Most dual tires buyers wonder what the percentage values in dual sport tires implicate. You will find different tire brands with different percentages indicated on them.
Some of the common percentages:
- 90/10 dual sport tires
- 80/20 dual sport tires
- 70/30 dual sport tires
- 60/40 dual sport tires
Tire manufacturers are quick to tell you that the 20%/80% tire is meant for 20% off-road riding and 80% on-road riding.
The percentage rating of the tire gives a rough idea of how the tire should be used for the effectiveness and longevity of service from the tires.
Where are you riding your Africa Twin with 50/50 tires
The intended place for riding your bike should be a vital determinant of the adventure motorcycle tires you purchase.
Ride location determines the kind of tire to purchase depending on the percentages for on-road and off-road riding. This aspect will guide you through choosing the best tire for safe and comfortable riding.
The type of bike you are riding
You should do thorough due diligence on the best-fit tire for your bike. I have had a KLR and V-strom for commuting. The Vstrom did light gravel roads, and the KLR did the forest roads in upper Wisconsin.
The KTM just spun the tires and did wheelies. I sold it. The Africa Twin does everything else nowadays. I use the 50/50 Motoz tires on it. It does everything well, except wet grass.
Tires perform differently on different types of motorcycles as bikes are different regarding build, power delivery, weight distribution, among other factors.
Look for blogs with dual sport tire reviews or get advice from people riding the same bike as you. This would be the most reliable information.
- A 4-ply front/rear combination designed primarily for dual sport use
- Special dimpled tread pattern means many edges, which helps maximize traction
- Unique front/rear combination provides balanced highway and offroad performance
- 4-ply construction for long-wearing durability
- Self-cleaning tread blocks still give a traction edge for muddy and loose terrains
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- Nic Winding Refn (Director)
- English, Italian, Spanish, German, Polish (Playback Language)
- English, Italian, Spanish, German, Polish (Subtitles)
- The Tusk Dsport Adventure tire is D.O.T. compliant for On/Off Road Use
- Aggressive tread pattern offers grip in the toughest off-road conditions
- Rubber compound is designed to not only offer great grip, but to provide long wear on and off the road as well
- Tall knobbies not only offer performance and wear, but give the tire a tough, aggressive look
- 【Size】2.50/2.75-10 INNER TUBES REPLACEMENT: Fits 14'' tires from 2.5'' to 2.75'' wide; perfectly fits for dirt bike tires size 2.50/2.75-10.
- 【High-quality】 A tire is only as good as its inner tube. With this dirt bike inner tubes, you'll be prepared for any flats that may come your way whether it be on your front or rear tire. These inner tubes fit stock tires of Honda CRF50 and XR50, Suzuki DRZ70 and JR 50, Yamaha PW50 and TTR50, Coolster QG-210 and QG-213A, Razor MX650 and X500, and Baja Dirt Runner 49.
- 【Perfect match】Used on many 49cc, 50cc, and 70cc mini dirt bikes and pit bikes models, like Baja Dirt Runner 49, Motovox MVX70, Razor MX500(rear) MX650(rear) SX500, Yamaha PW50, Suzuki JR50 DRZ70, KTM Mini/SR Adventure, Coolster QG-210 and more
- 【Features】 Used on many 49cc, 50cc, and 70cc mini dirt bikes and pit bikes models, like Baja Dirt Runner 49, Motovox MVX70, Razor MX500(rear) MX650(rear) SX500, Yamaha PW50, Suzuki JR50 DRZ70, KTM Mini/SR Adventure, Coolster QG-210 and more
- 【Package Contents】The 2.50/2.75-10 inner tube is made of premium-quality isobutylene isoprene rubber, which is better in air tightness, elastic damping and aging resistance than natural rubber,Practical and durable.
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- Hilary Jeffkins (Director) - Hilary Jeffkins (Writer) - Hilary Jeffkins (Producer)
- Vietnamese, Czech, Indonesian, Korean, Chinese (Playback Languages)
- Vietnamese, Czech, Indonesian, Korean, Chinese (Subtitles)
- Long Lasting Performance - All-new compounds, combined with an innovative tread pattern inspired by our Dakar winning MICHELIN Desert Race tire, offer extraordinary longevity for extended adventures.
- Stability and Comfort - In addition to proven off-road performance, front/rear casing design ensures impeccable on-road stability and comfort.
- ✅ Durable, reliable and economically priced
- ✅ Soft to Intermediate tires designed for maximum value for mini and mid-size dirt bikes
- Durable, reliable and economically priced
- Soft to Intermediate tires designed for maximum value for mini and mid-size dirt bikes
Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
How far do you ride your Africa Twin?
Distance is a crucial factor to consider when buying a dual sport tires for a motorcycle.
For long distance ADV motorcycle riders, the longest lasting dual sport tire will be needed to sustain you through the whole adventure. The MotoZ GPS Tractionators go the distance.
I installed mine 3K miles ago and they still are less than halfway burned up. A Shinko would not have tolerated the road miles or gravel tire spinning I’ve done over the last 3,000 miles.
Also, for short distance riders, dual sport tires with the highest durability are preferred. This will save you the overall cost for regularly buying and replacing the tire.
How skilled are you at riding ADV motorcycles?
This is a question that is overly overlooked by most riders. However, its relevance cannot be overstated.
Selecting excellent dual sport tires should rely on how good you are at both off-road and on-road skills.
Buying the right tire based on riding skills will accord you with the safest and comfortable riding both on-road and off-road.
What’s your favorite riding style on your Africa Twin?
This is an aspect that determines the performance value of a bike regarding the tire used.
Casual adventurers and full-tilt riders use different kind of tires each matching the riding style of an individual.
In this regard, the tire that lasts longer and performs better would be the ultimate choice. It is a tire that will enhance your safety on and off the road as well as improve your riding comfort levels.
I followed this advice when I went to Colorado a couple years ago. I rode my V-Strom with a pair of Michelin Pilot 4 road tires, definitely not 50/50 motorcycle tires.
On the I-80 freeway, the tire’s ride, traction, and wear was fantastic. On the gravel passes in the Colorado San Juan Mountains — like Ophir Pass — the tire was out of its element.
But I needed a tire that would handle a lot of slab, with a sprinkling of gravel. I chose a tire that fit my needs.
Nowadays, the Africa Twin is my go-to motorcycle. It works best for my 50/50 dual sport riding style. It did just fine down the Interstate and when I did the adventure rides in the San Juan Mountains.
Guide to buying the best tires for Africa Twin motorcycles
50/50 motorcycle tires are designed to provide riders with the best of both worlds – a mix of aggressive treads and subtle knobs for excellent traction in every terrain.
Whether you’re riding an adventure bike, dirt bike or street machine, these special-purpose tires deliver the grip you need for any travel experience.
When selecting your tire, it’s important to consider rider preference and terrain type. If you often ride on pavement, opt for a dual-purpose tire with shallow but aggressive tread blocks that strike a balance between street performance and off-road traction.
If you often take your bike off-road, go with a tire that offers more aggressive deep treads but also has some knobs to help retain traction in loose or wet conditions.
Also be sure to check the tire’s load rating to ensure it’s suitable for your motorcycle’s weight capacity.
The right size will also help maintain control during hard cornering or rapid acceleration and deceleration on tight curves and off camber surfaces.
Consider what type of terrain you most frequently ride when selecting the size of your new dual purpose tires – larger sizes will deliver high speed stability while smaller sizes may be better suited for tighter trails.
Overall, 50/50 motorcycle tires offer unique advantages when it comes to delivering performance across different terrains like all surfaces roads and rugged dirt trails alike.