The best glucosamine for dogs may help your pooch with elbow or hip joint pain, damage, or arthritis. Although my large breed German Shepherd has good hips and elbows, I want to make sure he doesn’t develop health issues like dysplasia. I limited his jumping until he was well over a year old, did not get him fixed, and know he comes from solid lines with no problems. Also, I have bought chondroitin and glucosamine supplements for my GSD.
Best joint supplements for dogs on Amazon
- Plays an important role in maintaining joint function for dogs
- #1 veterinarian recommended retail joint health supplement brand. The recommended initial administration period is four to six weeks; however, some dogs may respond sooner
- With MSM, a naturally occuring, organic, sulfur-containing compound. Cosequin maintains optimal joint function to increase joint mobility
- Supports mobility for a healthy lifestyle in dogs of all ages, sizes, and activity levels
- Please read all label information on delivery
- Pro Sense Advanced Strength Glucosamine tablets come in a tasty chewable form
- Supports join function and cartilage health
- Includes Vitamin C to promote collagen growth
- MSM to help flexibility and movement
- Packaging may vary
- OPTIMAL SUPPORT - Our Glucosamine DS Plus Level 2 Moderate Care joint support soft chews are an excellent cat and dog joint supplement, providing incredible support for optimal joint flexibility and cartilage health.
- INGREDIENTS THAT WORK - Formulated with MSM, antioxidants, Chondroitin, and Glucosamine for dogs and cats to support connective tissue, cartilage health, joint movement, and lubrication of joints. Recommended for adult pets, including large breeds and overweight pets.
- TASTES LIKE A TREAT - Tasty soft chew that your dog or cat will love. For dogs or cats over the age of 12 weeks.
- MADE IN THE USA and VETERINARIAN FORMULATED - All NaturVet products are veterinarian formulated and manufactured in the USA in an FDA audited, cGMP compliant facility.
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED - All NaturVet products come with a 100% satisfaction guarantee so if you aren't satisfied for any reason you can get a full refund!
Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Some dog food companies like Victor add these supplements in their foods. Example: Victor’s Hero Canine dog food, which, oddly enough, has a GSD on the package. Marketing tactics aside, perhaps they will work as a good joint supplement for my GSD; perhaps they won’t work.
Pros and cons of giving the best glucosamine supplement for dogs
Pro: Glucosamine is a drug free alternative treatment for dogs with joint pain or joint damage.
If your dog is suffering from joint pain and you have concerns about the long term effects drugs may cause, glucosamine is a good alternative choice, as it is dietary supplement, not a drug. If your dog shows improvement after taking this supplement, their veterinarian may choose not to incorporate drugs into their recommended treatment plan.
Pro: Glucosamine can be administered to dogs of all ages. While it is most commonly utilized by senior dogs, younger dogs living with the painful impact of joint damage or sports injuries may benefit from glucosamine.
Pro: Glucosamine is accessible. Glucosamine is easily obtained over the counter through brick and mortar pet stores or online pet suppliers.
Pro: Dogs may enjoy taking their daily dose of glucosamine. There are many manufacturers of this supplement, and it is available in different forms such as soft chews, hard pills, etc, making it easy to administer to dogs with different preferences.
Pro: Glucosamine is affordable. Depending on the brand and the quantity purchased, this supplement is generally inexpensive.
Pro: Glucosamine is an anti-inflammatory supplement. The purpose of glucosamine is to reduce swelling in arthritic or damaged joints, and to repair a dog’s damaged cartilage. These benefits improve your dog’s quality of life.
Pro: The effectiveness of glucosamine is verified. There are many studies done about the effectiveness of glucosamine. Veterinarians have confirmed that most pets display a moderate amount of improvement when glucosamine becomes part of their health care treatment plan.
Con: Glucosamine supplements v. Veterinary Care. Due to the accessibility of glucosamine supplements over the counter, many owners choose to incorporate glucosamine into their dog’s health care instead of seeking veterinary care. Glucosamine is not a substitute for veterinary care.
Con: Glucosamine is not fast acting. Owners may not see results of this supplement for the first few weeks of administering in their dog’s diet.
Con: Glucosamine is not a cure or permanent solution. While glucosamine may offer some dogs relief from their joint pain, it is not a cure. This supplement will not cure the underlying medical issue, completely reverse the damages existing in their joints, or be a permanent solution to their discomfort. Many dogs build up a tolerance, which requires owners to increase their daily glucosamine supplement in order for their dog to continue experiencing relief.
Con: FDA Category. The Food and Drug Administration considers glucosamine to be a dietary supplement, not a drug. This means that the manufacturers of glucosamine are not held to as rigid of standards as manufacturers of drugs must comply with.
Con: Glucosamine is not for every dog. While there are potential benefits, there are some dogs whose bodies simply will not respond or react at all.
Special Considerations: Owners of diabetic dogs must exercise caution and only administer glucosamine at the direction of their veterinarian, as this supplement is sugar based and therefore may not be healthy for a diabetic dog to take regularly. Additionally, some dogs are allergic to this supplement. Thankfully, the adverse reactions dog owners report are fairly minor, such as vomiting or diarrhea, insomnia, and excessive thirst
Always consult with your veterinarian to formulate a safe and effective treatment plan for your dog. We are not veterinarians here and don’t know what’s best for your dog or situation.