Whether you’re a veteran or novice ice fisher, the best ice fishing auger will help you spend more time fishing than drilling holes — whether it is a propane, electric, or hand ice auger.
This specialty tool makes life a lot easier, as moving to a new hole is a regular occurrence and can be tedious when you don’t have the best ice fishing auger.
But what makes the best auger for ice fishing? We’ll outline a buyers guide and provide three reviews to get you in the right direction for finding it.
- 39" Shaft with Lightweight/Durable Synthetic Nylon Flighting & Aluminium Stem Reduces Weight
- Maintains Flexibility & Impact Resistance in Cold Temperatures
- Dual Flat Steel Replaceable Blades Offer Smooth Cutting & Break-Through
- Razor Sharp Steel Blades Along with Center Point Blade Promotes Stability and Smoother Cutting
- Efficiently Transfers Power from Drill to Cutting Head. Fits Almost All Brands 18V-20V 1/2IN, Drill Chuck
- Combo includes Adapter, Nylon flighting Auger bit (Electric Drill not included);
- Fit almost all brand 18v-20v drill, like DeWalt, Makita, Milwaukee, Ridgid, Ryobi and Husky, etc;
- 33" Shaft with Lightweight Yet Durable Synthetic Nylon Flighting & aluminum stem bring the weight down by one third of normal steel hand ice auger, or about half of the weight of Lithium Power Ice Auger in the market;
- Razor Sharp Steel Blades Along with Center Point Blade Promotes Stability and Smoother Cutting;
- Universal Adapter with 14” Extension, three Adjustable Height Settings Safety Cover and Strap Included;
- CENTERING ICE POINT: The 8" Pistol Bit (#35600) features a centering point to help keep the bit in place when initializing the cut.
- ENGINEERED NYLON/POLYMER FLITE: Keeps the unit lightweight while maintaining flexibility and impact resistance in cold temperatures.
- HEXAGONAL, ALUMINUM INNER STEM SHAFT: Efficiently transfers power from drill to cutting head.
- HIGH-STRENGTH POLYMER CUTTING HEAD: Reliable performance in all conditions. Aggressive design cuts through ice quickly and smoothly.
- REPLACEABLE STEEL BLADES: Dual flat steel blades offer smooth cutting and breakthrough. Can be replaced.
- AUGER DRILL ADAPTER: Convert hand auger into a power auger with this ice auger adapter for cordless drill; Must-have ice fishing accessories to break ice into ice holes
- CONNECTIVITY: Ideal cordless drill ice auger attachment to perfectly fit majority augers including Eskimo, Expert Pro, Arctic, Spiralen, Easy Ice, Viking, Micro and StrikeMaster augers (Mora & Lazer); NON-COMPATIBLE with all other diameters, bolted joints, or augers with the threaded connection
- POWER DRILL COMPATIBLE: Recommended to use with cordless power drills of 18V–3Ah 40/80 Nm; Fits drill chucks of 0.5" or larger
- DURABLE STEEL CONSTRUCTION: Zinc plated high-quality carbon steel construction for robustness and corrosion resistance; Lightweight ice fishing auger drill adapter for convenient handling and transport
- SAFE AND EASY TO HANDLE: Non-rotated rubber-coated handle adds safety, control, and protection; 0.23" and 0.31" holes allow for universal utilization of ice auger drill bit and a little extension of the screw conveyor
- High-Performance Drilling: The ice drill auger's effective length is: 39 inches, rotating diameter: 8 inches, weight: 6.4 lbs/2.9 kg. It is lightweight, sharp, and durable. It can be used with an electric drill to meet your daily needs.
- Nylon Material: The auger bit adopts nylon material, the main shaft, aluminum, which are lightweight, durable, and rust-proof. Meanwhile, it has good tensile, impact resistance, and flexibility, saving your labor and time.
- Sharp & Sturdy Blades: The blades are made of premium steel, sharp and sturdy, cut through ice like a hot knife through butter. In addition, the edges come with a blade guard, which can keep the blades from damage and extend the blades' service time.
- Extension Rod & Adapter: If you want to extend the length of the ice auger, you can detach the adapter and top plate from the shaft, then attach the extension rod to shaft; finally, fix it with a special bolt. Extension rod length: 11.8"/30 cm. The ice auger bit is equipped with an adapter and a top plate. The adapter allows you to connect the auger with various kinds of the drill. The top plate can prevent you from the hurt of splashing ice.
- For Ice Fishing: This ice drill is very suitable for ice fishing enthusiasts due to its professional design and lightweight. It can easily punch the Φ8" holes on the hard and thick ice surface, bringing convenience and fun to you.
- 【Sharp Thickended Blades】Compared to other similar products,we are the first to add two Blades on the Auger Drill Bit.These blades are made of 65 high strength manganese steel,which is very hard and sharp,so that the drilled hole can be kept very intact.With the help of Blades,you can not only improves the efficiency of drilling mud, but also can drill holes on ice with great ease.
- 【Tungsten Steel Cemented Carbide Twist Drill Bits】We use a solid twist drill as the drill bit, which can bring a greater impact on the soil. This twist drill is made of Tungsten Steel Cemented Carbide, which makes it very easy to drill holes in hard soil, gravel soil and ice.
- 【Specification】4 inch diameter x 16 inch length. Work with most 3/8" or larger chucked drill.
- 【For Ice Fishing】 The upgraded auger drill bit not only can work on hard soil and little rocky soil for all plants in the garden,but also can dig holes on ice. It is very suitable for ice fishing enthusiasts due to its professional design and lightweight.
- 【30 Day No Risk Guarantee】This product is equipped with a no risk 30 day satisfaction guarantee. If it’s not perfect for you, return it for a full refund.
- 【Ice Auger Adapter and Extension】Hex head shaft Ice Auger Adapter fit in 1/2 inch drill chuck for Power Drill and adjustable in three different heights, about 14 inches in length. 0.79 inch inner Round Shaft black extension fit to Gas Powered Earth Auger , 12.6 inches in length. The Extension and adapter convert most hand ice augers to automatic mode, saving your fishing time.
- 【High-Performance Drilling】8'' auger diameter, about 20'' drilling depth(without Extension length ), weight 5.4 lbs. Quietly, lite weight and easy to use. Comes with spare blades, Dual flat steel blades offer smooth cutting and breakthrough. Drills fast and with the center point it can overlap holes and helps keep the bit stable when starting.
- 【High Quality】The Ice Auger, Auger extension and Ice fishing Auger Drill Adapter were all forged from heavy duty, welded steel and finished with a powder coat for Long-lasting use without rusting or damaging.
- 【Safety Topper and Carry Bag】The safety topper is really a must to prevent the auger from going through the ice if it falls out of your drill chuck. Saved your auger from disappearing down the hole. The black carry bag makes it easy to carry all the products for fishing time or to store the kit when not in use.
- 【Combo Includes】Ice Drill Auger*1, Ice fishing auger drill adapter*1( Fits Drill Bit Chuck 1/2inch and Above). Auger Extension*1(with 0.79 inch inner round shaft ). Auger safety topper*1, Blade*4, Screw*8, Centre point *2, Black canvas carry bag*1, Bait tray*1, A pair of working gloves, Wrench*1(For tighten the centre ice point at the top of the Ice Auger), Hexagonal spanner*1 (for tighten the screws on the blade), Product instructions*1
Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Read customer reviews of good augers on the market on Amazon.
Best ice fishing auger buyers guide
With as many styles of powered and manual ice augers there are on the market, it can get a bit overwhelming on deciding which is gonna work best for you.
First, deciding on how many holes and how long you’ll be fishing, and how often, will need to be determined.
If you’re going to be drilling many holes throughout the day, or very often, you’ll want to look at a motor-power auger.
This will save your energy and not fatigue you like using a hand ice auger. And, the depth of the ice where you’ll be fishing will be important as well.
Digging through 36 inches of ice, several times a day, with just elbow-grease and a hand auger will drain you.
Hand ice augers are excellent if you’re fishing for short amounts of time, or do it occasionally, as they are less expensive and weigh less than motor-powered units. They work best for thinner ice depths, as well.
Next, the size of the hole you wish to fish out of, and the size of the fish, will narrow your search.
Many ice fisherman utilize an 8 inch hole, but some prefer 10 inches or even 5 or 6 inches.
Blade design is important as well, as units that offer serrated blades will help break the ice apart easier versus traditional blades.
Strike Master Lazer Hand Ice Auger
The 5 inch Strike Master Lazer manual ice auger is perfect for the occasional ice fisher and someone who wants a lightweight, sturdy design.
The blades are made of a chrome-alloy stainless steel and have a black shine. They are also powder-coated to prevent ice build-up.
Strike Master notes the handle is adjustable for a range of 48” to 57”, and has rubber grips and an ergonomic handle design.
The whole unit only weighs 7 pounds, so it won’t break your back to carry.
Many Amazon reviewers note how sharp the blades remain after drilling many holes.
Strike Master provides a blade guard for the Lazer, which is a nice addition.
One Amazon reviewer notes cutting through at least 15 inches of ice with no problems.
There is also an adapter kit available to hook the shaft and blades up to an electric drill, so that you can use this as a back-up or if you get too fatigued.
Eskimo Sting Ray 33cc with 8-Inch Quantum Ice Auger
The Eskimo Sting Ray ice auger offers a 2-cycle 33cc gas engine and has a strong red paint job.
Only having a 42 inch length, this ice auger is shorter than Strike Master, and there isn’t an included extension.
The Eskimo has foam covered grips, and finger throttles with mitten-grip recoil so you don’t have to remove your gloves in the freezing cold.
The gas tank is see-through, so you can easily gauge the amount of gas that is left.
One Amazon reviewer remarked how it was capable of chewing through more than a foot and a half of ice without issues.
This ice auger weights a hefty 32 pounds.
The blades are removable, and come with a blade protector to ensure their safety when not in use.
Another Amazon reviewer remarked how they’ve drilled around 100 holes with the unit and haven’t had any issues so far.
ION 40V Max Electric Ice Auger, 8 Inch, with Reverse
Unlike the Eskimo and the Strike Master, the ION 8 inch electric ice auger is rocking a 40V electric motor and a flashy paintjob.
This model weighs about a third as much as the Eskimo, at 21 pounds, so it’s significantly lighter.
The auger length is 34 inches and comes with an optional 12 inch extension to bump it to 46 inches.
It is shorter than the Strike Master and is longer than the Eskimo.
As with many electric devices, cold will drain the charge depleting the battery, but one Amazon reviewer noted kept the battery in their pocket to prevent this and it significantly helped.
This motor powered auger offers a reverse speed as well.
Many Amazon reviewers remark how long the battery life is, commenting about drilling as many as 30 to 40 holes in moderate depth ice with still having close to full charge.
The ION is a great tool for someone who doesn’t want to mess with trying to start a gas powered auger on the ice or can’t handle the loud sounds of it starting.
The previous three reviews showcase a variety of the types of augers on the market, and should be able to help you decided which one will be a auger for ice fishing.