The best glucosamine for dogs may help your pooch with elbow or hip joint pain, damage, or arthritis. Although my large breed German Shepherd has good hips and elbows, I want to make sure he doesn’t develop health issues like dysplasia. I limited his jumping until he was well over a year old, did not get him fixed, and know he comes from solid lines with no problems. Also, I have bought chondroitin and glucosamine supplements for my GSD.
Best joint supplements for dogs on Amazon
- 8-in-1 Formula - Zesty Paws Multifunctional Bites are functional supplement chews with premium ingredients and multivitamins that support physical performance, antioxidants, hip & joint, heart, immune, skin, liver, & gut health for dogs of all ages, breeds, and sizes.
- Skin Health & Antioxidants – For animals with sensitive skin, this formula contains Cod Liver Fish Oil and Vitamin E for skin and coat health to help maintain normal moisture and Kaneka Q10 to help reduce oxidative stress - plus they contain no grain, corn or soy derivatives!
- Hip, Joint & Performance Support - Each dog chew features OptiMSM, a premium form of MSM for muscular support, which works synergistically with the Glucosamine HCl and Chondroitin Sulfate in these chews for hip and joint support plus Cod Liver Oil and B-Complex Vitamins support normal physical performance.
- Gut Health & Probiotics - These chews also contain a five-strain Probiotic Blend (500 million cfu per chew), Digestive Enzymes, and Niacin to promote healthy digestion and gut flora while supporting normal bowel function for dogs.
- Heart, Liver & Immune Health - Multifunctional Bites feature powerful antioxidants Kaneka Q10, a premium CoQ10, Cod Liver Oil and Vitamins A, C, & E to promote healthy cardiovascular function, support liver health and enhance immune response.
- #1 Veterinarian Recommended
- Your veterinarian may suggest Cosequin supplements if your dog is having difficulties climbing stairs, jumping into the car, or going for walks
- Cosequin supplements are formulated to meet a variety of needs
- Cosequin for dogs is available in a tasty chicken flavored chewable tablet to help your dog maintain healthy joints and support joint mobility
- Manufactured in the United States with globally sourced ingredients, Cosequin is a high quality, dog joint supplement, and is excellent for long-term use and maintenance
- Natural Premium Ingredients - each soft chew contains a complex of Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM and Omega rich Fish Oil among active ingredients for joint support for dogs, strong bones, improve doggy's energy and mobility.
- Perfect for Pets of All Ages - young puppies, senior dogs and in-between, pet of any age can benefit from advanced hip & joint supplement treatment. Formulated with extra fish oil, these bites help ease pain from ageing or hip dysplasia, provide inflammation relief for small and large dogs
- 120 Joint Health Chews per Jar - one jar of our dog joint supplement chews will provide 1 to 4 month snacks supply depending on your dog’s size. (See chart for your reference)
- Delicious Flavor Your Buddy Will Love - we made sure your canine friend will love our chicken flavored chewable. No hassle with pills, capsules or powders.
- Made In Usa - our dog treats are made in USA by strictly following the highest manufacturing standards.
Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Some dog food companies like Victor add these supplements in their foods. Example: Victor’s Hero Canine dog food, which, oddly enough, has a GSD on the package. Marketing tactics aside, perhaps they will work as a good joint supplement for my GSD; perhaps they won’t work.
Pros and cons of giving the best glucosamine supplement for dogs
Pro: Glucosamine is a drug free alternative treatment for dogs with joint pain or joint damage.
If your dog is suffering from joint pain and you have concerns about the long term effects drugs may cause, glucosamine is a good alternative choice, as it is dietary supplement, not a drug. If your dog shows improvement after taking this supplement, their veterinarian may choose not to incorporate drugs into their recommended treatment plan.
Pro: Glucosamine can be administered to dogs of all ages. While it is most commonly utilized by senior dogs, younger dogs living with the painful impact of joint damage or sports injuries may benefit from glucosamine.
Pro: Glucosamine is accessible. Glucosamine is easily obtained over the counter through brick and mortar pet stores or online pet suppliers.
Pro: Dogs may enjoy taking their daily dose of glucosamine. There are many manufacturers of this supplement, and it is available in different forms such as soft chews, hard pills, etc, making it easy to administer to dogs with different preferences.
Pro: Glucosamine is affordable. Depending on the brand and the quantity purchased, this supplement is generally inexpensive.
Pro: Glucosamine is an anti-inflammatory supplement. The purpose of glucosamine is to reduce swelling in arthritic or damaged joints, and to repair a dog’s damaged cartilage. These benefits improve your dog’s quality of life.
Pro: The effectiveness of glucosamine is verified. There are many studies done about the effectiveness of glucosamine. Veterinarians have confirmed that most pets display a moderate amount of improvement when glucosamine becomes part of their health care treatment plan.
Con: Glucosamine supplements v. Veterinary Care. Due to the accessibility of glucosamine supplements over the counter, many owners choose to incorporate glucosamine into their dog’s health care instead of seeking veterinary care. Glucosamine is not a substitute for veterinary care.
Con: Glucosamine is not fast acting. Owners may not see results of this supplement for the first few weeks of administering in their dog’s diet.
Con: Glucosamine is not a cure or permanent solution. While glucosamine may offer some dogs relief from their joint pain, it is not a cure. This supplement will not cure the underlying medical issue, completely reverse the damages existing in their joints, or be a permanent solution to their discomfort. Many dogs build up a tolerance, which requires owners to increase their daily glucosamine supplement in order for their dog to continue experiencing relief.
Con: FDA Category. The Food and Drug Administration considers glucosamine to be a dietary supplement, not a drug. This means that the manufacturers of glucosamine are not held to as rigid of standards as manufacturers of drugs must comply with.
Con: Glucosamine is not for every dog. While there are potential benefits, there are some dogs whose bodies simply will not respond or react at all.
Special Considerations: Owners of diabetic dogs must exercise caution and only administer glucosamine at the direction of their veterinarian, as this supplement is sugar based and therefore may not be healthy for a diabetic dog to take regularly. Additionally, some dogs are allergic to this supplement. Thankfully, the adverse reactions dog owners report are fairly minor, such as vomiting or diarrhea, insomnia, and excessive thirst
Always consult with your veterinarian to formulate a safe and effective treatment plan for your dog. We are not veterinarians here and don’t know what’s best for your dog or situation.