The best glucosamine for dogs may help your pooch with elbow or hip joint pain, damage, or arthritis. Although my large breed German Shepherd has good hips and elbows, I want to make sure he doesn’t develop health issues like dysplasia. I limited his jumping until he was well over a year old, did not get him fixed, and know he comes from solid lines with no problems. Also, I have bought chondroitin and glucosamine supplements for my GSD.
Best joint supplements for dogs on Amazon
- Cosequin is the No.1 veterinarian recommended retail joint health supplement brand and has scientifically researched ingredients
- Your veterinarian may suggest Cosequin supplements if your dog is having difficulties climbing stairs, jumping into the car, or going for walks
- Cosequin supplements are formulated to meet a variety of needs
- Cosequin for dogs is available in a tasty chicken flavored chewable tablet to help your dog maintain healthy joints and support joint mobility
- Manufactured in the United States with globally sourced ingredients, Cosequin is a high quality, dog joint supplement, and is excellent for long-term use and maintenance
- Vet Recommended Joint Supplement For Dogs: Vet Recommended, Made In The USA
- Total Hip And Joint Health For Your Dog: The Vetiq Max Strength Hip And Joint Supplement For Dogs Comes With 180 Chews Per Bag That Promote Total Joint Health For Your Dog
- Omega-3 For Dogs: With 600mg Glucosamine, 210mg MSM And 210mg Krill Per Serving (2 Soft Chews)
- Hip And Joint For Dogs: Maximum Strength Hip & Joint Support
- Joint Care Supplements: Triple-Action Formula Helps Support Cartilage, Lubricate Joints, And Maintain Muscles
- 225 Soft Chews, Ingredients You Can Trust, Taste Your Dog Will Love: We've carefully crafted a delicious joint supplement for dogs that helps provide ingredients that your dog needs for maintaining hip and joint health and normal activity levels; Our chicken flavored hip and joint dog treats are easy to give and so delicious your dog will be begging for more
- Powerful Blend of Ingredients Known to Support Dog Joint Health, Mobility, and May Help Discomfort Associated With Normal Daily Activity: Supporting your dog's joint health is important, our soft dog treats make that easy; Every soft chew is loaded with Glucosamine HCl, Chondroitin, MSM, Yucca Schidigera, CoQ10 (coenzyme q10), and Hyaluronic Acid (HA); Plus Omega 3 & 6, Vitamin C & E, and Salmon Oil & Cod Liver Oil for skin and coat health
- Help Put The Pep Back In Your Pup's Step With A Tasty Chicken Treat They'll Love: Doggie Dailies offers safe and effective hip and joint chews for dogs of all breeds, ages, and sizes; Our formula may help lubricate joints, and maintain cartilage and connective tissue; A daily dose of our dog glucosamine can help maintain your pup’s energy levels, mobility and overall joint health
- More Than Just Glucosamine and Chondroitin for Dogs: Every delicious chicken flavored soft chew contains the perfect balance of six powerful active ingredients that work together to cushion and protect your dog's joints; Our advanced glucosamine for dogs is made by using cold-press extrusion which helps preserve the integrity of the ingredients to ensure maximum potency for your pup
- Our Dog Supplements are Made Using Strict Quality & Safety Standards: Our U.S. facility is GMP compliant and Level 3 SQF certified; Every batch of Doggie Dailies is tested by an independent lab; Order our glucosamine for dogs today and see for yourself why thousands of doggie parents trust us with their pup's wellness needs
Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Some dog food companies like Victor add these supplements in their foods. Example: Victor’s Hero Canine dog food, which, oddly enough, has a GSD on the package. Marketing tactics aside, perhaps they will work as a good joint supplement for my GSD; perhaps they won’t work.
Pros and cons of giving the best glucosamine supplement for dogs
Pro: Glucosamine is a drug free alternative treatment for dogs with joint pain or joint damage.
If your dog is suffering from joint pain and you have concerns about the long term effects drugs may cause, glucosamine is a good alternative choice, as it is dietary supplement, not a drug. If your dog shows improvement after taking this supplement, their veterinarian may choose not to incorporate drugs into their recommended treatment plan.
Pro: Glucosamine can be administered to dogs of all ages. While it is most commonly utilized by senior dogs, younger dogs living with the painful impact of joint damage or sports injuries may benefit from glucosamine.
Pro: Glucosamine is accessible. Glucosamine is easily obtained over the counter through brick and mortar pet stores or online pet suppliers.
Pro: Dogs may enjoy taking their daily dose of glucosamine. There are many manufacturers of this supplement, and it is available in different forms such as soft chews, hard pills, etc, making it easy to administer to dogs with different preferences.
Pro: Glucosamine is affordable. Depending on the brand and the quantity purchased, this supplement is generally inexpensive.
Pro: Glucosamine is an anti-inflammatory supplement. The purpose of glucosamine is to reduce swelling in arthritic or damaged joints, and to repair a dog’s damaged cartilage. These benefits improve your dog’s quality of life.
Pro: The effectiveness of glucosamine is verified. There are many studies done about the effectiveness of glucosamine. Veterinarians have confirmed that most pets display a moderate amount of improvement when glucosamine becomes part of their health care treatment plan.
Con: Glucosamine supplements v. Veterinary Care. Due to the accessibility of glucosamine supplements over the counter, many owners choose to incorporate glucosamine into their dog’s health care instead of seeking veterinary care. Glucosamine is not a substitute for veterinary care.
Con: Glucosamine is not fast acting. Owners may not see results of this supplement for the first few weeks of administering in their dog’s diet.
Con: Glucosamine is not a cure or permanent solution. While glucosamine may offer some dogs relief from their joint pain, it is not a cure. This supplement will not cure the underlying medical issue, completely reverse the damages existing in their joints, or be a permanent solution to their discomfort. Many dogs build up a tolerance, which requires owners to increase their daily glucosamine supplement in order for their dog to continue experiencing relief.
Con: FDA Category. The Food and Drug Administration considers glucosamine to be a dietary supplement, not a drug. This means that the manufacturers of glucosamine are not held to as rigid of standards as manufacturers of drugs must comply with.
Con: Glucosamine is not for every dog. While there are potential benefits, there are some dogs whose bodies simply will not respond or react at all.
Special Considerations: Owners of diabetic dogs must exercise caution and only administer glucosamine at the direction of their veterinarian, as this supplement is sugar based and therefore may not be healthy for a diabetic dog to take regularly. Additionally, some dogs are allergic to this supplement. Thankfully, the adverse reactions dog owners report are fairly minor, such as vomiting or diarrhea, insomnia, and excessive thirst
Always consult with your veterinarian to formulate a safe and effective treatment plan for your dog. We are not veterinarians here and don’t know what’s best for your dog or situation.