Whether sockets, screwdrivers, or drills, I am always in the market for good deals on tools. But, what is the best place to buy tools right now?
I created a list of 7 different sellers. Each range in quality and price. Let’s start with Amazon.
- Unisex 148-Piece Hand Tools Kit - Ideal for home and garage repairs
- Heat treated and chrome plated to resist corrosion. Contains the tools needed for most small repairs around the house
- Securely housed in a handy blow molded case. All tools meet or exceed ANSI critical standards
- 9pcs 1/4" socket: 3/16-1/4-9/32-5/16-11/32-3/8-7/16-15/32-1/2
- 5pcs combination wrench: 1/2", 3/8", 5/8", 5/16", 9/16"
- Includes 20V Lithium drill for a variety of home projects, hanging pictures or wall decor, assembling furniture, updating fixtures, building birdhouses
- Lithium ion battery: Always ready, holds a charge up to 18 months
- The 11 position clutch prevents stripping and overdriving screws
- Included components: (1) LDX120 drill/driver, (1) 20 volt max lithium ion battery, (1) charger, (1) storage bag, (1) tape measure, (1) adjustable wrench, (1) needle nose pliers, (2) manual screwdrivers, (1) utility knife, (1) slip joint pliers, (1) 12 ounce hammer, (1) ratcheting screwdriver, (4) hole saws with mandrel, (32) screwdriving bits, (1) magnetic bit holder, (10) drilling bits, (5) spade bits
- Ergonomic design: Lightweight tools designed to fit the user’s needs
- Increased Visibility: The DCF885 features a built in Led with 20 second delay after trigger release
- Includes: (1) DCD771 drill/driver, (1) DCF885 1/4 inches impact driver, (2) 20V Max Lithium Ion 1.3 Ah battery packs, 20 volt max charger, and (1) kit bag
- One handed bit loading: The DCF885 has a 1/4 inches hex chuck and accepts 1 inches bit tips, Power Tool type: Cordless
- High performance motor: The DCD771 delivers 300 Unit Watts Out (UWO) of power ability completing a wide range of applications
Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Remember: Some tool brands are cheaper than others, some are more expensive, some can be purchased online, others can only be purchased through an authorized dealer.
Sears and Craftsman tools
Sears has a superior reputation for housing the best assortment of Craftsman tools for any purpose.
Fans of NASCAR or other professional racing circuits are likely familiar with the name of Craftsman when it comes to tools, particularly their automotive and specialty tool line.
Craftsman offers a wide array of tools ranging from power tools, to hand tools and everything a homeowner needs for their lawn and garden. It is also possible to purchase complete tool kits in addition to carriers and holders.
Sears is one of the best places to buy ratchets and sockets and is widely known for their unique and innovative tool lines. Among these are the Mach Series, Mechanics tool sets, Universal tools and Lighted tools; the latter of which is extremely useful for working in dimly-lit spaces.
People who just cannot get enough of this company can join the Craftsman Club, now in its 25th year of existence.
Plus they have their own warranty in case something ever goes wrong with the tools. There is no doubt that one of the best places to buy tools is Sears, either in the store or online.
MATCO, Snap-on, and MAC Tools
I’m lumping MATCO, Snap-on, and MAC together. They all make fantastic tools. Usually, they are franchise-owned and the franchise owner will frequent shops that typically need tools. If you work at a shop that has a tool truck show up every week, then the choice is pretty clear which one to choose.
My dad used Snap-on and MAC products. I used both, with success. However, I’m not familiar with MATCO, so I thought I’d write a little more about them here.
MATCO is widely-known for their extensive line of more than 13,000 tools, the majority of which are made primarily for automotive repair. Matco also sells high-end quality tool storage equipment designed for effective use of space.
It is possible to buy virtually any tool MATCO, Snap-on, or MAC offers through their online websites if that’s the brand you want to use.
Ace Hardware stores
Local Ace Hardware stores are another location where people buy tools, especially in a pinch. I live a fair distance from most places that sell tools, except the local hardware store.
My local Ace store is franchise-owned, and the prices can be quite pricey, with limited stock. But, I have found top tool manufacturers and odd items that I needed there.
Lowes or Home Depot
Lowes or Home Depot is a common place where people buy tools. It’s a retail hardware store. They have some of the best tools needed for around the house.
These mega-stores have everything a homeowner needs, from woodworking planes to plumbing tools to carpentry tools to tools for installing carpet or tile to painting to home-decorating tools.
Harbor Freight can be one of the best places to get tools for cheap — as long as you know what you are buying.
Most of their products are not high quality, but if the tool will only be used once, then I take a chance on it.
One exception: I have had good luck with screwdrivers, tool chests, and hammers from there.
Toolbarn is an online retailer where someone can choose from literally thousands of tools. They have everything from construction equipment, to power tools, to hand tools, as well as all related accessories. They stock only the best tools from well-known manufacturers and specialty brand tool companies alike.
Toolbarn is family-owned and are headquartered in Nebraska. They are proud to have over seventy highly experienced professionals on hand, each with knowledge of the tool industry in excess of fifteen years. Toolbarn prides themselves on customer satisfaction.
For the consumer who prefers to shop exclusively online, Amazon.com is the best place to buy power tools online.
They have name brand power tools for any purpose. But, they also have a lot of imported generic brands — much like the stuff Harbor Freight carries.
It’s important to read reviews when buying the generic stuff, so that way you can lessen your chance of getting burned.
One benefit: They have a superb reputation for customer security and service.