I’ve used nickel-metal hydride and lithium polymer batteries during the many years I’ve been involved i the RC hobby.
My opinion: The best LiPo battery is so much better than NiMH in terms of low weight and high energy density in RC cars, such as a Traxxas Slash or Summit.
In my rock crawler, I still use NiMH because I like the extra weight from the battery over the front end, but that’s a different story.
Amazon best-selling lipo batteries
- 【Zeee 2s lipo 6000mAh Specification】- Material: Lithium polymer;Battery voltage: 7.4V ;Configuration: 2S1P; Cell voltage: 3.7~4.2V; Capacity: 6000mAh; Discharge: 80C;Plug:Dean-Style T Connector
- 【Dimensions】- Zeee 6000mah 2s lipo dimension is 138*47*25mm/5.43*1.85*0.98inch(L*W*H); Approx Weight: 290g/0.64lb pc
- 【Application】 - Zeee 6000mah 2s Lipo battery fit for Lipo Battery special designed for professional 1/10 scale and 1/8 scale RC car hobby models such as: Traxxas Slash, Emaxx, Bandit, Rustler version, Losi, Team Associated , etc. (Only if the voltage, dimension and the plug match, then it will fit).
- 【High Performance】- Zeee 6000mAh 2s lipo battery with 80C discharge rate hardcase offers you very high power and very long run time for your RC cars. They are widely fit the 1/8 and 1/10 RC car model.
- 【What You Get】- 2 Pack of Zeee 7.4V 80C 6000mAh Hardcase Lipo Battery with Deans Connector&Friendly customer service
- 【Zeee 3S LiPO Battery 5200mAh specification】- Material: Lithium polymer;Battery voltage: 11.1V;Configuration:3S1P; Capacity: 5200mAh; Discharge: 60C;Connector:XT60/Deans Tplug
- 【Dimensions】- Zeee 11.1V 60C 5200mAh rc lipo battery dimension is(±2mm) 155*48*24mm/6.1*1.89*0.94 inch(L*W*H);Approx Weight(±15g) :13.6 oz / 386g (including wire, plug & casing)
- 【Powerful Functions】- Zeee 3s battery 5200mAh has a huge capacity for extended run times and a gigantic C rating so you'll have all the power you'll ever need
- 【Application】- Zeee 3s 5200mah lipo battery suitable for RC helicopter,airplane,multirotor,Boat,Car,Truck,Traxxas models 1/10 scale vehicles or larger,Traxxas RC Cars, Slash VXL, Slash 4x4 VXL, E-Maxx Brushless, E-Revo Brushless and Spartan models(Only if the voltage, dimension and the plug match, then it will fit)
- 【What You Get】- 1 Pack of Zeee 11.1V 60C 5200mAh lipo battery with XT60/Deans T replacement connector&friendly customer service.
- HRB Professional LiPo Battery; Superior Japan and Korea Lithium Polymer raw materials.
- Quickly Recharged, long cycle life (150 times minimum), up to 200Wh/kg energy density
- Capacity: 6000mAh,discharge rate: 60C,Burst Rate : 120C, Voltage: 7.4V
- Parameter: Weight, 308g; Dimension (L*W*H), 138*46*26mm; Connector: Traxxas Plug
- Applications: 1/8 & 1/10 RC car model such as Traxxas Slash, Emaxx, Bandit, Rustler version, HPI Strada XB 1/10 RTR Electric Buggy, Kyosho GP 4WD Racing Truck etc. Team Associated SC8, etc
Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Guide to buying a Li-Po battery in 2019
Batteries have a language of their own. When making a purchase, you are confronted with tech specs. Let’s learn how to decipher the code.
The first important characteristics to understand are capacity and voltage.
Typical LiPo batteries use a particular type of labeling to show this.
An example of this is the marking ‘4S-2200’ found on typical batteries.
The ‘4S’ in the example means that the battery has four cells. Generally, each cell has a voltage of 3.7 volts. This shows the total voltage of the battery.
4 cells times 3.7v equals 14.8v.
The second number is the capacity of the battery. It is shown in milliamp-hours or mAh.
A fully charged 2200 mAh battery can give an electric current of 2200 milliamps, or 2.2 amps, for an hour.
The capacity has nothing to do with how many cells are in the series of the battery. It simply allows a user to know how long the battery will give full power.
The RC car user will find that this is very useful to know. It means that they can expect twice as much running time from a LiPo battery marked ‘4S-5000’ than they can one marked ‘4S-2500’.
Series or parallel
Batteries with cells in parallel are rare today. They are marked slightly differently than more common cells in series batteries.
One labeled ‘4S2P-2200’ would be made up of two ‘4S-1100’ batteries wired together to create 2200 mAh capacity. It may be differently sized, but that is all.
The third most important thing to understand is the discharge rate of a battery.
Good LiPo batteries have a limit on how many amps can be output continually without being damaged.
Most RC uses have very high discharge rates. If this is ignored a battery can fail and damage the RC equipment.
A battery’s discharge rate is shown as a multiple of C. C generally means coulombs of charge.
A common discharge rate on a ‘4S-2200’ battery is shown as 20C. To get the maximum discharge rate one multiply the number by C with the second number.
So 20 times 2200 equals 44000 milliamps or 44 amps.
What this means is that this battery is safe to discharge 44 amps or less continuously. It should only be used in a system that can just draw up to 44 amps or it or the RC could be damaged. It can be expected to give its greatest power for only a few minutes.
Most RC vehicles do not draw a continuous amperage. Draw will change depending on what is happening.
RC cars and boats have large draws during fast acceleration. This means that it is unwise to select a battery that barely meets the vehicle’s needs. Instead choose a better battery. Weight is less important with land vehicles, especially when considering how light Li-Po batteries are nowadays.
RC airplanes generally are fitted with a battery that barely meets its needs. They do not generally need as much power as a land craft even during a full-throttle flight. For fliers the weight of a stronger battery is just not worth the hassle.
The next characteristic of a good RC battery is its casing. Many batteries that could work in an RC car have a thin casing.
They are delicate and easily damaged while in use. Using a purpose made RC battery means that the cost may be slightly higher.
The battery will be more sturdily made. RC batteries are made with a heavy hard plastic case that protects the soft insides.
A damaged battery will puff up. It may not fit in the vehicle. It also may leak or explode. A hard cased battery will last longer. It is well worth any extra cost.
The last important thing to understand when shopping for a LiPo is how to charge it safely.
A battery can explode if charged with the wrong equipment. It can also explode if the person who is charging the battery is using the charger incorrectly.
Always use the best quality LiPo charger that can be obtained. This is no place to save money. Be sure to completely read the owner’s manual.
Many good chargers are able to charge several types of battery. Generally each battery type and how to correctly charge it will be clearly marked.
Make sure that the charger can be correctly set for the type of LiPo battery that is to be charged. Small details such as the number of cells are extremely important to get correct. Also, make sure you charger will fit your LiPo battery connectors.
Finally be sure that the charge rate is within the battery’s marked safe charge rate. Writing these details down before hand is wise. Many also use a safe battery charge bag to protect themselves.